Flinter experts needed! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Flinter experts needed!

Made the mistake of not zealously cleaning out my traditions flintlock last season. Then made another rookie mistake and loaded it and now I can't get it to fire. To make this worse, as you could guess, the breach plug is ceased up. I'm thinking about filling up a small cup with black powder solvent and submerging the breach plug for a few days. Suggestions?

-Shoot Straight-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Flinter experts needed!

Take it to a gunsmith they will not only be able to take the load out but will be able to change your breech plug and get it free once again.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can pull the ball easily enough, pull it and yes soak your breach plug in bp solvent.

.50-70 The only Government I trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 PM

Unless it is a model made to have the breech plug removed, don't touch the breech plug. The "non-removeables" have the touch hole cross threaded through the breech plug. removal is difficult, unnecessary and will most likely ruin the barrel

If it is one of those meant to be removed for cleaning, yes by all means soak it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 11:09 PM

I use compressed air to push out a patched ball when stuck.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 12:37 AM

unscrew vent liner, dribble some powder in, reinstall, prime with 4f and have at it.

Let me guess, you didnt use real black powder?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

use an air compressor to clear the barrel. get a needle used to blow up a football or basketball. Put that in your touch hole and give her heck. the breech plug shouldn't be seized up. get an allen key for a 3/8 or 1/2 ratchet. next time put a little bore butter on the breech plug when you put it back together, just remember to run a pipe cleaner through the touch hole afterwards.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
Unless it is a model made to have the breech plug removed, don't touch the breech plug. The "non-removeables" have the touch hole cross threaded through the breech plug. removal is difficult, unnecessary and will most likely ruin the barrel

What he said. I've been shooting the same custom flinter for 30 years and the plug has never been removed from the barrel.
As for clearing the gun.......pour some 4f onto the touch hole and then use a pick of some sort to push some of the powder into the barrel. Touch it off and the gun should discharge.
If the rifle won't fire, use a worm to pull the ball followed by scraping out the powder charge followed by soaking in solvent.
If you have access to it, compressed air will work as well.

If it is one of those meant to be removed for cleaning, yes by all means soak it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I would guess that you may have not have cleaned it before loading it? That will make the air compressor trick difficult. I know that some of the Traditions models have removable plugs.

If your's is one of them: get some penetrating oil ( I like PB Blaster) and put it in a container that you can let the breech plug area soak in it. I have used a small glass jar. Let it soak a day or so and then use a breaker bar or ratchet with the appropriate size to loosen the plug. A sharp rap with a hammer on the RATCHET or BREAKER BAR seems to be the best pratice. I would never advise striking the barrel. Once removed you can then dig out the charge and ball from there. Teflon tape, commercial anti seize compound, breech plug grease, gorilla grease, TC anti size lube etc. recommended when re-installing the plug.

If non-removable: depending on how dirty the barrel was when you loaded may be the issue. If it was loaded with heavy fouling or rust, the compressor may not push out the charge. The addition of 4f into the touch hole and firing is the easiest and usually works.

If not: try pulling the ball/bullet with a ball puller. Then dig out the charge.

if that does not work: This sounds messy but is really not that bad. Go to the auto parts and get a zirc fitting (grease fitting) that fits decent in your touchhole. Sometimes the exact correct size is not available but a "pretty close" size that threads in does work. With the fitting in attach a grease gun and pump away. This will push everything out the end of the barrel. This method has never failed me. After everything is out simply use a patch and jag and push the bulk of the grease out the touchhole. The remaining grease can easily be removed with brake cleaner (Brakekleen) or another similiar solvent. Zircs are not hardened steel and will strip out if you tighten them too much thus not damaging the threads in your barrel.

I have used all of these methods repeatedlyand all work. A clean bore is the easiest to fix but we all know that "dirt" happens. I'm a pretty "frugal" guy so taking it to a shop would be very last resort for me.

Good luck and I hope ya get her running soon!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

If your close to Kempton, PA just take it to Dixons and ask for help. The knowledge you'll gain in on trip is worth it, plus its a really cool store.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page