2 questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

2 questions

Last night I was attempting to sight in my Winchester Apex (209, .50 cal, 100 grs of 777 pellets) and I ran into the same problems I've ran into in the past. I'm finally fed up and looking for a solution. Here's the deal.

I shot ballistic tipped Powerbelts in the past and my brother bought me a box of TC Shockwaves to try. The problem is, it seems the tip always gets screwed up when I'm loading the gun because it's so hard to seat the bullet. It's fine with the first time or 2 I load it, but after that, forget it.

I've actually seen the tip from a Powerbelt fall out of my barrel once while hunting and it was mangled and I pushed a Shockwave part-way in yesterday and checked it and the tip was smashed and it wasn't more than 3-4" down the barrel.

So, I'm wondering, what can I use to increase the longevity of the lubrication in the barrel (if anything)? I've heard of "Bore Butter" but have never tried it.

Also, do they make a special ramrod to protect ballistic tipped sabots? I like the theory behind them and the few deer I've shot with them piled right up but I know the damaged tip isn't helping the accuracy any.

Worse case is I'm getting rid of the Powerbelts and Shockwaves I have left and am just going to shoot a hollow point or plain round-nosed sabot from here on out.

Just looking for some advice from you guys with more experience than me.

Thanks!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 PM
The Man

Re: 2 questions

Yes, they make a tip for the ramrod with a rounded edge so it will contact just the edges of the ballistic tip. Most any lube will help, but use very little.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Adam, I would suggest running a patch through the bore after each shot when using any plastic sabot. Most manufactures recommend a clean, dry bore…NO lubricant at all. The plastic fit so tight & any fouling & residue increases the friction. It’s a pain in the butt but should eliminate the problems you’re experiencing. Give it a try. FT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:23 PM

You need the special sabot ram tip. They make them by barrel size 45/50/54. That helps keep them going down straight. You should also buy a special sabot short rod with the same sabot tips.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I use just a little bit of Rem oil in all my guns, I forgot to include that.

Good to know about the ramrod, I'll have to go find one.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Bore butter (tiny bit) and a curved tip on the ramrod. I can get about 4 "easy" reloads and after that it really gets tough. The plastic tips on the aerotips don't make a big difference. They fly same as my HP's. I have a friend that had similar problems to what you're having and he would just take them off when they gave him trouble.

"An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day." -Thoreau

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have 2 brands of screw on ramrod tips for tipped conicals. One is Barnes and I don't know the other. Both are similar design, the center is hollow and the inside edges are a straight chamfer. The plastic tip goes up into the hollow not touching anything and the chamfered edges push only on the copper edges of the bullet. They work very well with pointed sabots and powerbelts. Now that I typed that I think the second brand above is made by CVA for the powerbelt aerotips. I put the Barnes on my long ramrod and 2 of the others on my short starter.

I like the barnes because it is just a little under the .50 bore. When I feel the crud ring area getting tight I can just run the bare tip down and you feel it scraping off excessive stuff and things get going easy again.

Just this past year I started running a pre-lubed patch down between shots, one side then the other side, and then a dry. This prevents the ring buildup and keeps things consistent indefinitely, I think I'll stick with this.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the help guys.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freytown
Adam, I would suggest running a patch through the bore after each shot when using any plastic sabot. Most manufactures recommend a clean, dry bore…NO lubricant at all. The plastic fit so tight & any fouling & residue increases the friction. It’s a pain in the butt but should eliminate the problems you’re experiencing. Give it a try. FT
I have found this to help alot also!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 03:25 PM
New Arrival

Wet patch....Dry patch after every shot. Ask any experienced muzzleloader and this is the only way to achieve peak accuracy. If you were any sort of rifleman you would already know that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page