little problem this afternoon - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

little problem this afternoon

Knight50cal and I went to the sportsmens club this afternoon to shoot our inlines...

We ended up getting rained on and he did not want to shoot but I decided I'd atleast run a few shots thru and make sure things were ok for the season and then next time out we would work on his inline...

Well, something has happened to my scope... Eratic shots.. only took 3...then Knight50cal decides for me to try a 4th shot with a 45 cal bullet in 1 of those 50 cal plastic sleeves...

I loaded 100 grains of pyrodex pellets and went to start that sabbot (If that is what it was, he will have to say what kind it was)
Any how, it got stuck right inside the lip of the barrel....we tried pulling it out with a puller but could not get it to pull....so here I am with a 100 grains down the barrel and a bullet stuck at the end of the barrel...

So, we decided to use his range rod and ram it down....we got it half way and it eased up and went SMOOTHLY to the bottom....

We pulled the Breech Plug and rammed it the rest of the way out... I did not feel comforatble to shoot it from how it went in!

What do some of you guys who been shooting for awhile think might have been the problem?

And

Do you think it would have been safe to shoot it?

We decided afterwards that we did things right and pulled the breech plug and shoved everything out the other end...Better to be safe then sorry!

Now, I have to clean up everything for things got wet...we are gonna try again wednesday or thursday if it is not raining and get my scope fixed on alignment and his shot in aswell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 08:23 PM

Re: little problem this afternoon

It may have been a dirty barrel or the sabbot may have been a little crooked when you started ramming it down the barrel. I only use the powerbelts to avoid trusting a piece of plastic to do the job of metal on metal. After three shots I wouldn't think that the gun would be that fouled but it may have happened. Try the powrbelt's you'll love them!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

I use the Powerbelts....was shooting 295 grain hollow points today...I think that may have been my problem and not the scope, I have not had much luck with grouping with the hollow points in the past...now the aurotips, they pattern very good for me!
Have to pick up a pack of them before we head out later next week and see if they do any better before messing with the scope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Sage

Did you recover any sabots?? What shape were they in??

If you were usung a non-stepped base (lesser base strength) sabot...its possible you were blowing them. I had it happen to me & you are lucky to hit the broad side of a barn door if a sabot lets go. 2 50 grain pyro pills are unlikely to blow a sabot though but if can recover..it tells the story. i was experimenting with some really hot loads when a few sabots let go.

Hard loading could be from crud build-up. What 209's you using?

best of luck!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, we went and shot today....I got a packet of 245 grain aurotips......

Sunday I worked on my inline....I had been noticing that I was trying to push my head back away from the scope because the scope seemed to set to far back...I loosened things up and pushed it forward and retightened the screws....

Set down with 100 grains of pyrodex and those 245 grain bullets... first shot 3 inchs low.....did 6 clicks up and started dropping the shots right into the bullseye!

Then, after I fired 4 shots into the bullseye, I loaded up the hollow points and did 3 shots..they went all over the place!

What is it with the hollow points that they do not group out of my CVA??
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:44 PM

could be a number of things. bullets not sealing the bore, non concentric base, mangled nose from loading, even out of balance bullets hard to say.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

i like the hornaday i think they are sst 245 or 250 i'd have to look been awhile since i used them but they were really accurate and deadly

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 AM

They both shoot the same for me. It may just be a dirty barrel. All the aero tips are is a hollow point with a piece of plastic in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodywoodduck
Well, we went and shot today....I got a packet of 245 grain aurotips......

Sunday I worked on my inline....I had been noticing that I was trying to push my head back away from the scope because the scope seemed to set to far back...I loosened things up and pushed it forward and retightened the screws....

Set down with 100 grains of pyrodex and those 245 grain bullets... first shot 3 inchs low.....did 6 clicks up and started dropping the shots right into the bullseye!

Then, after I fired 4 shots into the bullseye, I loaded up the hollow points and did 3 shots..they went all over the place!

What is it with the hollow points that they do not group out of my CVA??
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman76
They both shoot the same for me. It may just be a dirty barrel. All the aero tips are is a hollow point with a piece of plastic in the end
Might be the only differance between them, but it sure does seem to make a world of differance.....it doesn't matter if I have a dirty barrel or a fresh clean 1, I can not get the hollow points to shot groups...

I have another buddy who has the exact same CVA as mine, His is the same way, he can not get groups with the hollow points but put the auro tips in and he can punch holes on top of holes!

And his also does not like the 45 cal sabbots with those plastic inserts, they hang up about 6 inchs down the barrel same as mine...we both are afraid to shoot those sabbots out of our inlines!

Knight50cal uses those 45 cal sabbots, he had to do some adjusting today but finally got things nice and good...he was breaking holes ontop of holes and I swore he was missing a few shots till we walked to the target and looked at it and you could see were the 2 holes connected...he was doing that at 50 yards with Open Sites, he has no scope on his inline....Looks like he is going to give me a run for my money at the farm and make sure he gets the deer I been promising him!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't even bother with the hollow points, the areo tips are deadly on game. Every hog or deer i have shot with the hornadays has either dropped or dropped within 30 yds.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page