Lee REAL for inline? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Lee REAL for inline?

Just curious,
Has any one tried any of the lee REAL bullets through their inline, and if so, what size groups should I expect to shoot. Im looking at the REAL 320 grain mold, but I would like to know what to expect. I only have inlines, and would like to cast some of my own bullets. does anyone have any experience with casting their own, with lee or any other molds that shoot well through inlines?
thank in advance to all who reply.
Roland

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
Wayne LaPierre 12/21/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 AM
New Arrival

Re: Lee REAL for inline?

I cast for my 50 cal cva optima using the Lee REAL mold in 320 gr. 1st of all I use Lee molds & most of their products for casting many different cal bullets. Always have been pleased, good value for the money. The REAL 320s work great in modern inline loaders because of the faster twist in the barrel. I have used these on 3 rifles with tight groups @ 40 yds, almost touching. Lee makes a 50 cal 250 gr REAL, some say they work better in the slower twist flintlocks but I have sighted in with them in my inlines & it only changes the point of impact, still good groups. 250s work real well in my flinter, this is what I use for it. Lots of variables in muzzle loaders, powder, patches, primers, wads etc but this is where the fun comes from. Casting is fun. Lee are good products & you can shoot more for little money. Have a ball!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Vic,
this is the type of info I am looking for.
Do you think I Should mic the inside of my Knights barrel for a dim? before ordering the mold.
I see that some 50s have larger bores than others.

Wayne LaPierre 12/21/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 AM
New Arrival

REAL stands for rifleing engraved a loading. The rings on the bullets are slightly bigger than the diameter of most of the 50 cal barrels, this is done on purpose to give a tight seal, but also in my experience does not cause hard loading. I use Blackhorn 209 powder with a prelubed wad under my bullet & can shoot multiple shots without having to swab or clean the barrel, I have fired up to 20 times like this with no loss of accuracy or difficulty loading. If you consider using blackhorn powder be advised it only works with a breech plug that totally encircles the primer. I have a cva mag pro hunter with a slotted breech plug, for removal, & the powder doesn't work in this gun. The cva optima plug is fully enclosed & works like a charm. I don't have any experience with a Knight & plastic primer holder. One more thing, blackhorn powder is an easy cleanup, no odor & non corrosive if cleaned within a couple of days, it's the best I have ever used & I've tried them all. Enough rambling, I hope this is of some value to you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Vic,
I thank you for your time and patience,
and yes, the info is very valuable.
My Knight is a LK 93 (wolverine), and uses #11 mag percussion caps.
I think this puts the black horn powder out of my quest.
But, I also have a CVA that uses 209 ignition. I mainly use triple 7 powder, and have had no probs with ignition.
i would not have thought to use a wad under the real bullet, but after you said it, it makes good sence.
Thanks again,
Roland

Wayne LaPierre 12/21/12

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page