How long have you left powder in your flinter? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

How long have you left powder in your flinter?

If I don't shoot in a day, I'll leave my flinter loaded if I'm hunting the next day, but typically will either shoot into a tree or soak the barrel and push out the bullet after I get home. My father in law said that as long as he hasn't shot, he'll leave it loaded the whole late season if he doesn't shoot. This got me to thinking, how long will you guys leave your powder and projectile in your flintlock if you haven't shot it? I'm using 777 powder, not BP and shooting a TC Firestorm so it's easy to pull the plug and push the bullet out the end.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM
The Man

Re: How long have you left powder in your flinter?

I've left a charge in the barrel from one season to the next and had no problems. I'll usually let the same charge in the barrel all season unless I get in some very wet hunting conditions.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM
The Man

Loaded my Firestorm on Monday and it is still loaded.Didn,t hunt Tuesday but hunted hard this mornin and goin back out soon.The longest mine was loaded was 4 days.Not because I wanted to unload it but it took me that long to get a shot.Barring no unforseen circumstances,I won,t unload till I shoot at a deer or the season ends.Which ever comes first,and lets hope it is the former.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:54 PM
The Man

I unload the gun at a deer, after hunting in wet weather or at the end of the late flintlock season...whichever comes first! I keep the gun in my unheated garage between hunts, never bring it in the house till the fat lady sings!

Got my invitation to Darrell's wedding in the mail today! No location on the invitation???
5D/3D
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM

@G.O.B. How do you like your Firestorm? I bought a used Traditions Deerhunter last winter and I never put the time into prepping it and learning to shoot. For the amount that I paid for it, $50, I'm not opposed to buying another and learning with a fresh unfired model. The Firestorm has peaked my interest with the breech plug. Any thoughts?
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Fired mine for the first time in three years last Friday. Hit about 3" left of the bull at 50 yards. Fired another 10 shots with PRB's and made some adjustments. Fired another 3 with the maxi-hunters and it's in the bull. Took it home and cleaned it....haven't charged it yet though. Probably hitting the woods in the morning. If I get wet or shoot at something and reload I'll unload it and clean it....if that doesn't happen it'll stay loaded until I shoot it next....either at a deer this season or next if I need to use the flinter.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswold
This got me to thinking, how long will you guys leave your powder and projectile in your flintlock if you haven't shot it?

Thanks.
12 months

C.laubach
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

ccall, my son has a deerhunt, as well as a friend of mine. both guns are the blued synthetic models. both guns shoot very very well.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Part of the Community

I've left mine loaded for a year and so have several guys I know and they have all went right off ! I know a guy that let his loaded for 5 years and it went off !
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 PM

I leave it in until I take a shot, be it a day or years, unless it was raining or snowing out and then out goes the powder.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page