Tricks for keeping powder in pan - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Tricks for keeping powder in pan

I have a Lyman Deerstalker, and noticed that unless you keep the gun level the powder in pan falls out. Was wondering if this is normal and if anybody has a tips or tricks they use, thanks and good luck to all and be safe!

Scentblocker Advisory Member
Birchwood Casey Advisory Member
Wild Ear Advisory Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:11 PM

Re: Tricks for keeping powder in pan

Can't be normal. The bottom of your frizzen simply cannot be sitting flush to your pan. Find out where this gap is, and correct by doing some light grinding to the bottom of the frizzen.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 PM

something is dreadfully wrong. The fizzen fit to the pan and the frizzen and lock fit to the barrel flat are crucial. all three should be so close that a hair can not fit between the three.

With your lock off the gun and unprimed, closed the frizzen and hold it up to the light. If you can see light between the frizzen and the edges of the pan, there is a fit problem. Likewise, when installed on the gun, the edge of the pan should be snug up against the barrel flat. When the frizzen closes, it should be so close to the barrel flat that it almost rubs when closed it also should allow no hair width gap between the frizzen edge and the barrel flat. If the frizzen doesn't fit the pan right, you just lose powder and will have to learn to prime when you see a shot. If the powder is falling between the lock plate and the barrel, it can fill up the interior of the lock mortise and become a hand grenade blowing the lock to the next county when you fire the gun.

The pan edge, frizzen base and the barrel flat are about the most important fits on a flintlock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:15 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkocalls
I have a Lyman Deerstalker, and noticed that unless you keep the gun level the powder in pan falls out. Was wondering if this is normal and if anybody has a tips or tricks they use, thanks and good luck to all and be safe!
Take the lock off, place the frizzen down on the pan, and then hold the lock up to the light. Do you see a gap between the frizzen and the pan?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Feroo suggested one way to cure the frizzen pan fit. some times just a bur needs to be stoned away. If you go that route, go very slowly, no power tools and use lots of inlet black or candle soot to monitor your progress. I have seen some real weird repairs over the years. Even a layer of epoxy around the edge of the pan. or a thin brass shim between the lock and the barrel flat. Neither are good fixes.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:20 PM
The Man

Oops. You guys are quicker on the keyboard than I am.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks everybody! Will check it out, is Lyman's known for this or you think its a fluke. There's a gun smith in my area that cleans and polishes all workings for $75 it is worth doing?

Scentblocker Advisory Member
Birchwood Casey Advisory Member
Wild Ear Advisory Member
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Part of the Community

I have one also, and the powder on mine was falling out due to the groove on the plug that screwes into the breech!!! I have removed the plug with a non grooved one, and no longer have the problem!!! U may have a different issue, but if ur plug is grooved replace it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had 2 renegades, one was perfect the other leaked powder. You could see the frizzen was tweaked/twisted a little from fitting flush. I put a shim (a few layers of copper shim stock but feeler gauges would work too) under the section of frizzen that was making contact to raise it a bit, then using a brass drift and hammer I tapped the raised section of the frizzen down. Took a few tries getting the right shim thickness, but in the end it sealed flat. If you don't use a shim the metal will just rebound leaving a small gap again. Or proably a new frizzen would work too.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:29 PM

I replaced my Traditions .50 cal Frizzen last year. The replacement Frizzen did not even come close to fitting properly. The back edge of the frizzen hit the pans edge well before the front edge did, thus, leaving a HUGE gap... at least 1/16". That may not sound like much, but that is. My remedy was to clamp a 4" hand grinder in a vise, and VERY SLOWLY and methodically start removing metal from the back of the frizzen. It took a while, but I eventually got a true fit.

As zimmer mentioned, there's also the option of only priming the pan when a shot opporunity is near (you have Deer coming in). Honestly, I only keep pan in the primer on an all day hunt if the weather is very dry (low humidity). Otherwise, I have my priming tool hanging on a lanyard from my neck, and it requires little movement for me to open the frizzen, prime, shut the frizzen when Deer are in the area. That should ensure you dry powder, not to mention powder in your pan.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page