18 inch group with flinter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

18 inch group with flinter

I was at the range on Saturday morning with the flintlock. I have a Traditions Deerhunter synthetic stock. I was able to get 18 inch groups at 100 yards using standard fiber optic sights with PRB 80g FF, .018 patch and FFFF in the pan. This was off of sand bags but I am extremely happy with the group. The tiny orange target at 100 yards looked impossible to hit. I was wondering what the opinions of the board were.

Thanks,
Blaze

2F Hunting and Fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Banned

Re: 18 inch group with flinter

If your planning on using it to hunt for deer I'd recommend only taking head shots with it...less chance of wounding a deer and not recovering it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:43 AM
The Man

Sorry Blaze, I'd surely expect a better grouping than that before I'd take a shot at that distance.

I would suggest more time at the range, but that isn't such a bad thing, I sure love shooting my flinter and I find it challenging at times, but that is the beauty in it.

Not trying to bust on you, just giving you my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripnmax
If your planning on using it to hunt for deer I'd recommend only taking head shots with it...less chance of wounding a deer and not recovering it.
I actually never thought of that, but that's a great idea. 18" groups are not too good at all. Sorry, not trying to be an [censored], but you asked for opinions... That's mine. I would suggest making sure you are 3-5" or better groups at 50 yds consistently before shooting at 100 yd targets. Just my opinion.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

No problems guys. I was pretty happy since I had several dry fires in between and I'm still pretty junior at the flinter. I had 6 inch groups at 50 yds and didn't want to sit in water on the 50yd range so I went to 100 yds. It's way more challenging. I plan to work on it more. This is the feedback I was looking for.
Thank you!

2F Hunting and Fishing
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:16 AM
The Man

Griswold has made a very valid point. I agree with his suggestion, start close, 25 yrds, if need be then work out from there.
Getting used to the flash and then shot, takes some practice.

Enjoy yourself there, experiment with different loads, such as grains, start low, then work your way up.

I shoot 70 grs. black powder in mine with a patch and rd. ball. You may like something different. Your gun will eventually tell you what it likes. And you will be really surprised of the groups you can shoot when all comes together.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Only take shots at game if you can hit a paper pie plate at that range. About 7".
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Really, that's the most ridiculous piece of advice I have ever seen on these boards. The OP needs to start at 25 yards and work up a load that will give him some consistency. Then and only then you should move to the fifty yard line. 100 yards with open sights is a "long" shot.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikbow
Quote:
Really, that's the most ridiculous piece of advice I have ever seen on these boards. The OP needs to start at 25 yards and work up a load that will give him some consistency. Then and only then you should move to the fifty yard line. 100 yards with open sights is a "long" shot.
Stik, he didn't ask for advice, just opinions....if you want to read the most rediculous posts ever read the ones on not being able to make clean kill shots to a deers head. If I couldn't deflate the top half of a football at 100 yards I darn well wouldn't try to hit a deer heart. Can't say I ever found a decomposed headshot deer made by anyone in our group of sportsman. Shot a Doe with the flinter yesterday....at 50 yards it was hit one inch below the ear.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM

An 18 inch 100 yard group ,merely indicates more work is needed. Consistent loading practices, breath control, and learning the fine points of the workings. between the lock and the touch hole there are alot of things to learn.

With most normal flint locks, after pouring the powder in, smack the gun with the palm of your hand on the side two or three times to make sure the powder settles as far back the flash channel as possible. The PA pellet has a different breech system than others and I have never had the opportunity to examine the breech when taken apart. Seat the PRB with the ram rod so that you feel the powder crunch slightly under the pressure of you pushing down.

Is your group an even circle, or more horizontal or more vertical? Even though we are not there at the range, there may be some things we can help you with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page