fizz no bang (read again!) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

fizz no bang (read again!)

ok who else had a problem or 5 today. i went to range b4 the hunt only 10 min apart for me and after 5 shots, had to adjust sight and behold i couldnt get it to go off again. we no cleaner with me..fault #1, lost my breach cleaning pick (fault #2), so after having a little problem with flint i get all fizz no bang.. i didnt have a big enough screwdriver(fault #3) but my knife did end up working to remove the plug. after getting it wide open and loading pan with 4f a big phhhhht and no bang again. so i know i put powder in it...and a ball so perhaps i got some gunk pushed down behing the powder, the hole is now cleaned but what if it doenst fire again.. should i put rice around the hole overniht to suck moister our or have a brave sole hold a long light to the hole and get it to fire w a longer heat source. my plan was to shoot it in, hunt and come home and clean it comp out but i ran out of good fires to complete the job. pulling a ball is a pain in the hand and frustrating so really dont want to do that unless i gots to. darn this muzzeloader stuff is tedious...i always screw on step or another up. someday i swear it will all align and i will get one! at least that my goal, just like charlie brown will kick the football someday

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Re: fizz no bang

Muzzleloader is awesome, treat the frustrations as a nod as to how hard it was bk in the day. As for what I would do in your situation. I would pull the ball no question, clean it thorough n let it dry out good. Ck for good spark n reload w/ fresh setup. Sounds to me like perhaps wet/fouled powder behind the ball....or a boogered hole that leads to the charge. Second, I would never hunt w/ my smokepole after firing 5 shots w/o cleaning. My gun starts to show some inconsistency in pattern after 3 shots due to fouling, etc. Every gun is different, but I know how my gun behaves n follow accordingly.

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

i didnt clean it but i was sending the wire brush down and knocking it out and using a dry patch to swab thought that would be enough to get thru a shooting session but guess not.

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 11:40 PM
The Man

You don,t run a brush down a dry barrel.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

why not? i never knew that. well upon further review and pullin the ball with the help of my cordless drill and not my bloody palm, i did forget to put powder down there. at least it didnt seem like any came out. one of those days i guess.

We Are...PENN STATE
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM

It happens.....explains why no bang!

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I seen many guys do the dry brush thing and knock the powder out. It works for some and does get a lot of the fouling out. I swab 3 times between each shot. 1 wet (TC 13), 1 dry, 1 lube (wonderlube).

Here is my reasoning: My barrel is clean and lubed when I load the first shot. I want every shot after that to be a consistent as possible with the first shot.

Advantages:
1. I never have a mess after numerous shots when it's time to clean it.
2. I can push the projectile from muzzle to breech with a finger tip ( PB's in a Lyman Great plains)
3. If I take multiple shots and don't clean it that night, the barrel does not rust etc. because I lubed it when I loaded the last shot.
4. Instead of shooting the gun to unload it, I simply walk out in the garage and with about 30lbs of air from the compressor it send the bullet out unscathed. I then use a patch worm if needed to loosen the main charge powder. It may take more pressure to get a roundball and patch out. The absence of any fouling make this a very easy process.

In your case (loading without powder)........yes, I have done that too. It eliminates the need to drill and pull the projectile. A lil' air and out it comes.

My methods are my own and work for me. Many have asked, some tried, some liked and disliked. I can only vouch for my personal results and of the results I have witnessed from other using these methods.
( That is my new personal disclaimer to discourage some who are ready to jump all over friendly advice)

Flintlocks have made me a much better shot and have taught me something else...........patience. I really needed the latter!! Good Luck and keep on Smokin!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 PM

There is no possible way I can force a patched ball out of my .50 cal Traditions barrel with air.

You sure you aren't loading your .54 cal. with .50 cal. PB's ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I have done it quite a few times with mine. .490 ball and a .10 patch and Not positive about the air pressure but I do know it was not over 90lb.

Remember though.....as I explained I have not done this with a fouled barrel. Always with a barrel that may have had a number of shots but swabbed between each shot and lubed.

As I stated above....I can only attest to what has worked for me and what I have witnessed. LOL!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 PM
New Arrival

Jester, could you explain to me what you mean by lubed? you said that you swabbed and lubed between shots. what do you use when you lube between shots?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page