Beginner tries ... now the questions... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Beginner tries ... now the questions...

First I want to say good luck to all the late season hunters out there. Second I want to apologize if I ask anything that has been answered before, I am new to the flintlock and trying to learn but have some questions/ requests for help about what I am doing.
I am using a TC Renegade 54 cal Flintlock (1:48 twist I believe) - I put in a new English flint and am using FFg in the barrel and FFFFg (3 grain measure) in the pan; I swab the barrel with a wet patch and a dry one between each shot.

Now, a request for help.... any thoughts or suggestions...
Shooting from 30 yards, I have adjusted my aim as high as I can, but am still about 8-10 inches below my bullseye. I am getting about a 6 inch grouping, but I want to get it up to the target before I worry about tightening it up. I was shooting 90 grains powder with a patched 530 roundball (my scale says they are about 226 grains, the box doesn't have that labelled). Just to see what it would do, I tried some variation (60 grains, and 120 grains) and saw no difference in the height.
So, since my sights will not let me raise the aim any more, how do I get my point of impact up where I need to be? If I am this far off at 30 yards, what will I be at 75 or 100..

And some other questions I am wondering about:
1. When I grease the patch, do I need to grease both sides, or just the side contacting the barrel?
2. Do I need a layer of grease on the patch, or just be sure it is infused into the weave?
3. My father-in-law had some Maxiballs (scale says 416 grains), do I need to use greased patches with this, or will the grease in the grooves be enough to only use the lead without the patch?
4. I also have some MaxiHunters (packaged says 360 grains)that are pre-greased. The box says they are to be used as in the package and dont need further prep -- Do I need a patch with these, or just the maxi? I shot a couple of these (without patches) and could not find the impact on the box behind my target at all -- so I have no idea where they hit....

I thank you all for your input and expertise -- short of finding a personal tutor (not something I would ask of anyone during the deer season) you all are my best source of information....

-Brian

1A & 2D
Rem. 7600 30-06, 3x9 Scope
Parker Enforcer
TC Renegade 54 cal Flintlock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Beginner tries ... now the questions...

Move the rear sight the way you want the bullet to move.
So you would move your rear sight up,since you are shooting low.
You do not use patches with the maxis,patches are for the roundballs only.
The lube will soak through the whole patch.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:56 PM

You need to get the grouping tightened up before you make any more adjustments. Are you using pre-lubed patches or dry patches you lube yourself? How thick are the patches? there are a few variables at work here. I recommend pre-lubed till you get the hang of shooting flintlocks. After you get good grouping, then you can concentrate on sighting in. If you have moved your rear sight as mentioned in previous post, you could file your front sight down, as a last resort. Your first issue is your grouping, start there.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 PM

This is my target after I got load figured out. There are five shots in that group. This was at 25 yards. I had to adjust sights at fifty , shot low, to get back on target. Groups first!!

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:15 PM

Another thing you should do with open sights is use a six o'clock hold, trust me on this, it'll make it a lot easier.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the information -- I am using the six-oclock hold. I understand I need to get the groupings closer, but I was trying to at least get my bullets to hit my target paper first (currently they are hitting the box that the paper is taped to)....

I will give this another try tomorrow - after reading your answers, I think I moved my rear sight the wrong direction (thought I had it figured out, but must have got something wrong.)

-Brian

1A & 2D
Rem. 7600 30-06, 3x9 Scope
Parker Enforcer
TC Renegade 54 cal Flintlock
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikbow
Another thing you should do with open sights is use a six o'clock hold, trust me on this, it'll make it a lot easier.
I know exactly where that comes from!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've got a question on the 6 o'clock hold, I've always used the center hold but can see the advantage.
Do you adjust the sight so the bullet impact is centered on the bulls eye, (which would be high from where the front sight is) or at the very bottom of the bulls eye, (right where the top of the front sight is)?

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coureurs De Bois
I've got a question on the 6 o'clock hold, I've always used the center hold but can see the advantage.
Do you adjust the sight so the bullet impact is centered on the bulls eye, (which would be high from where the front sight is) or at the very bottom of the bulls eye, (right where the top of the front sight is)?
If you look at my target above you'll see I'm center mass on the bullseye, a little right but center mass. That's only 1/2" higher than my aim point. The aim point is 1" across, you wouldn't want to shoot a bullseye six inches across. It would put you three inches higher than your aim point if you wanted to shoot center mass.It takes a bit to get used to but you can clearly see your intended POI. Aim small, miss small.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

got it, thanks

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page