LAST DAY DOUBLE - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

LAST DAY DOUBLE

I used to be a pretty serious flintlock hunter but hung the gun up about 10 year ago because I really didn't feel like I had any business shooting at live game with it.A few years ago,I picked up a new RMC accusporter and spent quite a bit of time with it.This year I really shot it alot and felt confident enough to take a reasonable shot at a deer.I got out a few morning before work the first week but the only deer I saw close enough was a buck.Last saturday,I spent the day sled riding with my kids so I decided to hunt all day this past saturday.

I got out before daylight and hiked about 1/2 mile in to a ravine choked with pines.The going was tough with all the packed snow but I didn't work up too much of a sweat.I saw zip so I decided to still hunt for a while.Tracks were everywhere in certain areas but the avoided me.Around noon,I made it back to my truck and decided to try a spot that was logged about a year ago.I knew the deer would be in there but it was a far walk in that snow.On my way up there,I spotted by buddy Tom's truck.I called him to find out he was hunting the same spot I was heading to.Our plan was to put on a few small drives so I walked in to a small point and waited wihile he walked back to my position.I no sooner sat down when I heard him shoot.He ended up making a nice offhand shot on a doe about 60 yards away.Unfortunately,she ended up sliding all the way to the bottom of a steep ravine.By the time we got her out,Tom had time for one quick drive and had to leave.

I almost called it a day but decided to go to the spot I originally planned on hunting.There was a ton of sign in there according to Tom and the wind was right.I sat from about 2:30 until a a little after five without seeing a thing.It was brutally cold and I had aabout MILE WALK BACK TO MY TRUCK SO i DECIDED TO CALLED IT A SEASON.I hadn't gone 100 yards when I spotted two deer running in my direction.I had to move to my left so I could shoot around a big blowdown.Just as they cleared the blowdown,I bleated and they both stopped about 50-50 yards away.I had a clear shot at the closest one and shot offhand.I hated to shoot offhand but the shot felt good.I didn't know what to expect as both deer ran.When I approached the spot where they were,blood was spraying all over.Thirty yards later,my last deer of the 09 season was down.It was close to 7:30 by the time I got back to my truck but the drag was a good reminder of another great season in the big woods of Pa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM
New Arrival

Re: LAST DAY DOUBLE

Congrats on a fine ending of your deer season!My most memorable hunts for me are with my Hawkens.I got a shot on big doe sat.as well...Missed it clean..
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

Great tale. Love those deep snow hunts. Just something about being out there in it all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Regular Visitor

Sounds like a great end to your season. Where did you go; Treasure Lake, Seneca, or Moshannon?

How were the snow conditions?

We might be going to Treasure Lake this weekend and was debating taking the gun for a walk with the dogs in search of grouse on Saturday. If it is too high, hard, or icy I won't bother taking the gun. If the conditions are OK, you are more than welcome to come along.

Mark
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

This was on the edge of TL property where it isn't posted.The snow conditions were bad so I could only drive so far back in.That's why we had to walk so far.I can show you a good place on Moshannon state forest where I saw a ton of grouse earlier in the fall.I don't know if they'll be in the same places now but they were there in November.I'm talking 11-20+ flushed every time I was there.It's not a far walk at all but it's pretty steep.With all this snow,it would be slow going but once you get to the top,it should be smooth sailing.Loads of deer as well.I hunted there the first day and first saturday and my buddy Steve and I saw 30 plus deer both mornings between the two of us.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:55 PM
The Man

Congrats Doug sounds like a good day
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Killing a deer with a flintlock isn't a big deal to alot of people but it is to me because I could never hit the broadside of a bran with one.I got some help from an experienced shooter this year that really worked on my form.The gun always went off fine but I could never get the hang of it so I stopped hunting with it.The last deer I killed with one was over 10 years ago.It was a 20 yard broadside shot and I hit the deer in the white patch of the throat even though I was aiming behind the shoulder.I stopped hunting with it for over 10 years because I figured I REALLY DIDN'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS BEING IN THE WOODS WITH ONE.These thing take alot of work,at least for me they do.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
Killing a deer with a flintlock isn't a big deal to alot of people but it is to me
It is to me as well. Congrats on a fine Pa. trophy!!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
Killing a deer with a flintlock isn't a big deal to alot of people but it is to me because I could never hit the broadside of a bran with one.I got some help from an experienced shooter this year that really worked on my form.The gun always went off fine but I could never get the hang of it so I stopped hunting with it.The last deer I killed with one was over 10 years ago.It was a 20 yard broadside shot and I hit the deer in the white patch of the throat even though I was aiming behind the shoulder.I stopped hunting with it for over 10 years because I figured I REALLY DIDN'T HAVE ANY BUSINESS BEING IN THE WOODS WITH ONE.These thing take alot of work,at least for me they do.
Great Post!!! You are right---practice makes perfect----and then there are those saplings!

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Way to go, Doug!

I know EXACTLY where you are coming from!(frustration of not being able to hit the broadside of a barn)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page