Goex 2F vs 3F? Load adjustments and such - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Goex 2F vs 3F? Load adjustments and such

Looking for opinions..when i started muzzleloading I was given 4F for the pan and 3F for the barrel. I was running low and happened to be in Cablea's yesterday. I couldnt remember that it was 3F and my father SWORE it was 4F and 2F he gave me. So i bought the 2F which is all Cabelas had anyway. well i come home and come to find it was 3F. SO now i have a decision, find 3F and take back(not sure i can) or sell my 2F or start and work with 2F. Either way i am starting from scratch in a new gun. Is there any nod either way? I didnt have any issues with lighting the 3F..should i be concerned about the coarseness of lighting 2F? Any pressure issues or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Goex 2F vs 3F? Load adjustments and such

i have always used 2F in the barrel and 4F in the pan. i think thats the standard. 3F in the barrel is asking for trouble if you load it too hot. i don't know anyone who uses 3F in the barrel.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpgun
i don't know anyone who uses 3F in the barrel.
I do. I load 80 grains of FFFg under a 240 grain .530 PRB and a .25 denim patch in one of my flinters and get amazing groups, very consistant ignition and a better burn imo with less fouling in between shots. I only seat until I feel the powder start to "crush" and that's always right where I have the ramrod marked. Never had a single issue but the deer sure have!

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Back the load off by 20% and you should be good to go. Ie if you were shooting 100gr FF, use about 80 FFF or a bit less.
Generally, in 50 cal or less, 2 0r 3 F is considered ok, once you get bigger then go to 2F.
I shoot FFF in the Lyman 50 (stout load) and FF in the 54 cal barn gun.
Both have made meat out of smoke.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I used to shoot 3f now i shoot 2f and never had a problem. I even use 2f in the pan now (an old timer told me to do this) and it goes off just fine. if i dont get a deer its because there is too much air around the deer not beacuse the gun didnt go off
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

so it appears i can do the 2F. I'm using a traditions deerhunter and new Powerbelt Aerolite 250gr. What is a good start load for the 2f? I used to do 90 gr with 3f but again this is a new gun so its square one.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 PM

I want to say Traditions reccommend 60 gr. in the barrel ? but that seems light to me. More than likely a liability preventer/disclaimer by the company. My .50 Traditions does fine with 80 gr. 2F in barrel.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

I am shooting 90gr. out of my traditions deer hunter with a 240gr. T/C Cheap Shot Sabot
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Part of the Community

Send a message via Yahoo to lv2hunt

"so it appears i can do the 2F. I'm using a traditions deerhunter and new Powerbelt Aerolite 250gr. What is a good start load for the 2f? I used to do 90 gr with 3f but again this is a new gun so its square one.

Buddy has the same gun, and the same bullett, he shoots 100 grains of 2F out of the barrell, and shoots 4F out of the pan. He cloverleafs them @ 50 yards.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Well unless I missed it you don't say whay caliber you are shooting, the rule of thumb is 45 cal. and smaller 3f goes down the barrel, 50 cal and larger 2f goes down the barrel, but thats just rule of thumb. I shoot 85gr 3f in my 54cal under a patched round ball all the time.

If you were shooing 3f and now have 2f start with the same powder charge and see how it shoots, you may be able to increase the charge by about 10% with 2f.

Not to worry about ignition you won't be able to tell the difference in the two and neither will the deer.

My 58cal and 62cal get 2f down the barrel.

The fastest pan flash I ever had was when I went hunting and somehow forgot my pan primer with 4f, so I primed the pan with 2f and that doe never knew the difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page