Careless or stupid ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Careless or stupid ?

This is just amazing, but why would any one shoot up in to the air?

A man cleaning his muzzle-loading rifle shot the gun into the air, accidentally killing a 15-year-old Amish girl driving a horse-drawn buggy more than a mile away, a sheriff said Tuesday.

Rachel Yoder was shot in the head Thursday night while traveling to her home in Wayne County, between Columbus and Akron. She had attended a Christmas party for employees, most of them under 18 years old, at an Amish produce farm and was riding home alone when she was shot, Wayne County sheriff's Capt. Douglas Hunter said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/20/ohi...s#ixzz1h6ajHFMG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 06:02 PM

Re: Careless or stupid ?

certainly not a round ball. I suspect there was more to it than cleaning. Ever wonder how many TV sets are accidentally shot while couch potatoes "cleaned" their guns. I remember seeing what appeared to be a 38 caliber hole through a flat screen TV a year ago. It was thrown in the dumpster at our Township recycling center. A neighbor's house had a peculiar shot pattern out a second floor bedroom wall for about a week before it was covered over with new siding. I hate to think that this guy just thought it an impossible shot and he popped one off toward something on a highway a long distance off.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Careless or stupid ?
I say both!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:24 AM

Cleaning? I would guess he was emptying his gun in the air so he could start cleaning if anything. I dont think the news is accurate. How did they know so fast it was a muzzle loader? Did the man see the girl get hit and admit it?

Not enough to go on here.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:25 AM

I often wonder how they can pin point the source of those long distance shots. When somebody shot through the 12 th story apartment of a Supreme Court Justice on the Alexandria Virginia side of the river, they claimed they could pin point the place in DC the shot came from. That is a mile away. there are so many different possible loadings and trajectories, I am amazed that they can pinpoint things like that.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well if that is the case I would say both. Muzzle discipline folks... you dont want to be THAT GUY>

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:07 AM
The Man

I know modern inlines can carry,but no way will they go as far as they are sayin this shot traveled.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 AM

On a bet, a few years ago, A guy loaded a black powder cartrridge 50-90 as I recall and elevated the muzzle on a safe range and fired to see how far the bullet would go. As I recall all the engineers said no way it could go 7/8 miles a in Billy Dixon's shot, bullet went (IIRC) three miles.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM

I have no problem believing a roundball would travel that far. It just loses velocity as the arc increases. Still, a round ball falling from several hundred feet is gonna be painful and potentially lethal for sure...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Some studies have been done about round [censored] and air resistance etc. As I recall, physically impossible for a round ball to travel a mile on level terrain in the air even at 30 to 40 degrees inclination. I was surprised at the maximum range for some of the smaller caliber round [censored] Was barely 3oo yds. A 495 round ball launched at 2300 ft per second at the muzzle has slowed to 655 ft /sec by 300 yds and has dropped 105 inches 24 inches in the last 25 yds. before it goes another 300 yds it will be traveling less than 300 ft per second and will have dropped in excess of another 440 inches. (37 feet) 100 of those inches of drop between 575 and 600 yds. That 50 caliber ball will hit the ground around/before the half mile mark no matter what angle it is shot at. figures from the Lyman Black powder Handbook.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page