cleaning custom flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

cleaning custom flintlock

How do you guys clean a custom longrifle muzzleloader?I know you can tap out the pins and clean in hot soapey water,but its a pain to remove the pins and it would seem like after a while of doing this the pins would start be be loose.thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:39 PM

Re: cleaning custom flintlock

I can't wait to hear the replies on this. I have a custome FL that I hate to clean because of these little pins. I do not like to take this rifle apart to clean it. On my other FL there are wedges that I drive out, lift out the barrel and scrub-a-dub-dub.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Remove the lock, replace liner with correct bolt, with teflon tape applied, fill barrel with hot soapy water, rinse, repeat. Really not that hard if you think about it. While the barrel is "soaking" clean the lock with hot soapy water, rinse, and dry. Reassemble. That will be a buck 50 for the advice.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:11 PM

I can't take out my liner Brad Emig told me when I picked up gun how to clean it and I have it down to about 15 min. Take off the lock, put a round toothpick into the touchhole then pour hot water down the barrell, let sit for a few min pour out and repeat, I normally do this 3 times. Then pour hot water into the barrell to fill it 3/4 of the way take your rod with a cleaning jag and wet patch put down barrell take out toothpick and push the hot water through the touchhole. I then run a couple of patches down it to make sure it is dry then run a patch with pure mink oil to grease the barrell. The lock I will run through hot water and depending on how many shots I put through it maybe use a toothbrush to scrub the nooks and cranys. then I will put a small amount of oil on the moving parts of the inside of the lock

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remove the lock assembly and unscrew the touch hole liner. I then take a 3 foot piece of surgical tube, the flex type tubing that are used on IVs, giving blood, etc, and twist it into the touch hole. The threads will cut into the tube giving you a tight fit. I then put the other end into a pail of very hot soapy water. Soak a cleaning patch in the same soap water, then using the ram rod push the patch down the barrel all the way. When you pull the rod back toward the muzzle it will bring the solution through the tube into the barrel, don't take it all the way out or you'll loose the suction, then push the rod back down the barrel. After 3 or 4 pumps you will have all the air out of the system and only hot soapy water going into and out of the barrel. When the solution is no longer black I remove the rod and patch, disconnect the tube from the touch hole and run a couple of dry patches down the barrel. I then take a damp soapy patch and clean up any black power reside that's around the lock area or anywhere on the gun. I then wet a cleaning patch with WD-40 and run it down the barrel and wipe off the lock area with the same patch. For those of you that don't know, the WD in WD-40 stands for water dispersant, it will help remove any left over water. I then place the gun near a heat source, I use my wood stove , to dry. The lock assembly I drop into the hot soapy water pail, then clean like normal, including the WD-40. After all that you can lube how you like for storage.
The trick is to use as hot as water that you possibly can stand without burning yourself. Once the metal become hot the water will practically evaporate when you stop the cleaning process. Another useful tool is a old tooth brush to clean out all those small nooks and crannies.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Brewyak, that is pretty much how I clean mine. I used to remove the pins,but I now stick a toothpick in the touch hole. The water shoots out the hole when the toothpick is removed and the remaining water is blown out with air pressure in the end of the barrel. I keep a rag close by to wipe the stock as the dirty water can leave a dark streak down the stock.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:35 PM

Folks - that's all great advise but I think everyone missed to point, and the point, from my perspective anyhow, is how do you get arround NOT soaking the forend of the stock? On a rifle that is pinned, and not wedged, to the stock; do you drive out the pins or is ther some magical way to do the hot soapy water scrub and not ruin the forestock?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM

All the advice given is for pinned rifles. If you do what's been advised I don't see how your stock can get "soaked". I've had my rifle a few years and have never removed the pins, there is no need to.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 06:43 PM
The Man

I took a grease zert that fits my touch hole and drilled it out.Then found 2-3'clear hose that fitted VERY VERY tight on end of zert.
Remove lock.
Remove touch hole.
Insert zert with hose attached.
Put gun on bags or gun rest UP SIDE DOWN / SIDEWAYS with zert pointing down.
End of hose in bucket of soapy water.
Pump with rod.
Same for rinse.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

My meathod is perty much the same as Brewyak except I use room temp water down the barrel.
I know other guys that remove their barrel every time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page