Any tips for reducing delay in a flintlock?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Any tips for reducing delay in a flintlock??

I'm getting a heck of a delay for the time my pan goes off to the main charge igniting most of the time. Shooting a traditions deerhunter. Any good tips to reduce this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Any tips for reducing delay in a flintlock??

Could be too much 4F in pan and powder being too close to touch hole------That is an easy fix and is a large offender.

Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 AM

Make sure you run a touch hole pick in the touch hole after you charge the Flinter. Run it in until you hit the charge. This will insure a direct path to the Powder. As was stated, try not to fill the pan to the top. A little is better than a lot.A well tuned Flintlock will fire as fast as a Pecussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I know I fill the pan as full as it will go. Got into muzzleloading a few years ago by myself so haven't really had anyone show me little tricks like that. I'll try putting less powder in and see what happens!
@Ron pa: You say a well tuned flintlock.... is there anything to "tuning" them I should know about?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Regular Visitor

exactly.....spark/fire should actually jump through the touch hole. alot of people turn the gun to the side and tap the powder into the touch hole. that actually slows down the ignition of the barrel powder because your waiting for the pan powder to burn through insted of jumping through. picture this, if you have two piles of powder in front of you wich way would be quicker to ignite them, a line of powder to one or a spark thrown at one. not sure of the name of them but theres a touch hole that is wider cone shape also helped with mine. They are fun guns, but can be frustrating sometimes.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCabets28
Could be too much 4F in pan and powder being too close to touch hole------That is an easy fix and is a large offender.

Dave
Agreed. I put maybe 1/3 pan full at most and then torque the barrel hard to the right and stop dead to stack the flash powder away from the hole. I also switched to FFF instaed of 2F - I think that helps as well.

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:49 AM

make sure before shooting that the flash channel from the touch hole to the main charge is clear.

After pouring the powder into the bore, smack the gun a few times on the side with the palm. (Settles powder into the flash channel and up to the touch hole.

Grains of powder should be visible in the hole.

The hole should be middle of the pan and elevated about even with the top of the pan.

only enough primer powder to cover the bottom of the pan. Not half full or 3/4 full.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Deuce
Don't be afraid to ask questions about your flintlock........There are MANY people on this board with loads of knowledge and willing to share!!!
Good Luck!!
Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 AM

I drilled my touch hole out to 5/64" on my Lyman and it's been great ever since.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 AM

Drilling out the touchhole or even replacing it with a White Lightening or coned liner is an excellent idea. As to tuning,probably would be a good idea to send it to the Log Cabin Shop or Dixon`s, during the off season, and have it done right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in