Cleaning Flintlocks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Cleaning Flintlocks

How often do you clean your flintlocks? After every use? How long will you keep them loaded for? If you clean them in between uses do you put a rust preventative in the barrel? and if so do you swap it out befor you shoot it again? Thanks Rod

Camp Longbeard, Cross Fork, Potter County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:16 PM

Re: Cleaning Flintlocks

I clean mine after every use, even if it's only one shot. I don't leave mine loaded after a day of hunting, I discharge and clean when I get home. After cleaning I give it a good swab of mink oil.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would say it depends on how much you shoot it. Bore butter down the barrel in the off season. Clean it out with TC solvent before you take it out. Wipe it down after every hunt. They rust quick if neglected. Keeping it loaded can result in problems, especially if children have access to the gun and then theres forgetting and putting a double load in it. Other than that youre good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntRodG
How often do you clean your flintlocks? After every use? I do I use a foaming bore cleaner and let that soak for an hour or two then wire brush the bore and dump out all the crud. After that I soak it in the tub for another hour or two with some dawn dish soap. Then wire brush, rinse, and run patches through til clear. After that I wipe it down with gun oil with weatherguard and bore butter the bore...then it hangs down by the woodstove for the night to "season" and get rid of extra lube or moisture. How long will you keep them loaded for? I keep mine loaded til I shoot something with it, need to make a long trip to hunt, or end of the season. Most of the time I hunt around my house or a family members house, so I take it inside hang it upside down in dry place until the next day I hunt. If I go somewhere to hunt I unload and reload when I get there. This is why I LOVE the Traditions PA Pellet and its breach feature, great idea for a flintlock...you could get it so clean and unload so easy, I will likely make the PA pellet my next muzzy purchase If you clean them in between uses do you put a rust preventative in the barrel? and if so do you swap it out befor you shoot it again? Bore butter and nope I let it "season" by woodstove over night then put more bore butter on the bullet before loading it. Thanks Rod
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Part of the Community

I clean my rifle usually the same day as shooting it however I live in a very dry climate and have gone as long as 2 days without cleaning with no problems.

I use hot water, boiling actually, to clean the barrel. Then I follow up with WD 40 to pick up any trace of residual moisture. After I use regular gun oil for storage and I store with the muzzle down to prevent oil from congealing around the inside of the breach or touch hole.

Before shooting, after storage, I run a patch down the bore to get rid of any oil. I use Crisco for patch lube.

I don't leave the gun loaded at home. If I were to leave a charge in the barrel I would pop out the wedge and remove the barrel. Real black powder won't corrode steel unless there is moisture present.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned

I clean mine if I shoot more then one shot if not I leave it go until after the season I have left a charge down the barrel for a year and shot just fine. I always wipe it down with oil after each use though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

check out a product by the name of ballistol. recommended to me by brad emig. i`m a firm believer
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hate to admit it, but I have left mine loaded the entire year and had no problems. It probably has a lot to do with how much moisture there is where you store it. JMO
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 12:11 AM
The Man

During the season it gets cleaned only under two situations.
1)Gun gets fired at deer.
2)Damp day.
Cleaned with soapy water and warm water rinse.Dried with a hair drier.No oils inside till after season.After season oiled up inside and out with Olive Oil.NO petrolium based products go on any of my guns.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er
During the season it gets cleaned only under two situations.
1)Gun gets fired at deer.
2)Damp day.
Cleaned with soapy water and warm water rinse.Dried with a hair drier.No oils inside till after season.After season oiled up inside and out with Olive Oil.NO petrolium based products go on any of my guns.
I oil the inside of my barrel all the time and it goes off everytime the pan powder is lit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page