Remedial Classes? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Remedial Classes?

I need a remedial class in Flintlocking 101!

Went out yesterday and missed twice at the same group of 12 deer. Both shots under 50y!

They even gave me time to reload for a 3rd shot, but I only had 2 tags and did not want to shoot again before checking for sign.

I think they were standing there laughing at me!

How did anyone ever survive back in the Colonial times?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Re: Remedial Classes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutNut
Went out yesterday and missed twice at the same group of 12 deer. Both shots under 50y!
Been there done that. Makes getting one that much more special when it happens. Hang in there Perry.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:06 PM
New Arrival

Missed one today at about 50ft. I think I need a little more practice. However I did hit my target perfect on the unloading shot. Maybe I just get too excited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks Gene!

I'm hangin'................but it's been tough the last 3 years. No shots 3 years ago. Last year missed twice, but the first one I assumed was due to a loose sight. The second time after sighting in, I thought I hit a branch. Now 2 more this year.

I think I may be flinching. When I unloaded, I didn;t even hit the target last night.

I'm not gonna give up, but will take the bow out until I can practice more this summer.

The irony was that those deer probably would have walked by me at 5 yards if I had let them walk a little further. (THe first shot was closer to 30y!) They had no clue I was standing there next to that tree.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
The Man

Nothing seems so useless as practicing during the offseason. Except when you're dragging out a deer, on a frigid hunting day, after one shot.

As the British often said, ---the battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton. That games in school led to the defeated of Napolean in war.

Missed Pike and Monroe, due to rehab, this year. Good to know you hunters left some deer behind. The Marines probably never taught you either, about prior proper preparation....
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It is an overused cliche, but, "aim small to miss small" works for me with the open sights of a flintlock. Just like your bow, you have to ignore the deer's body and pick a small aiming spot for a broadside behind the shoulder.

And, the flintlock requires quite a bit of range time until you subconsciously can ignore the pan explosion, concentrating fully on sighting, especially the front sight.

Don't give up! You'll get it, and on your next visit to the Gunmakers Fair at Dixon's, bring your checkbook!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus42tang
Missed Pike and Monroe, due to rehab, this year. Good to know you hunters left some deer behind.
Yeah, there are some still wandering onto S.F. from the private communities. I walked in on an old overgrown forest road 1 mile. I didn;t cut tracks for the first 8/10 ths of a mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus42tang
The Marines probably never taught you either, about prior proper preparation....
Yeah, and I was only in the Boy Scouts for a few months when I was younger, so I didn;t learn anything from them either!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCoflinter
Don't give up! You'll get it, and on your next visit to the Gunmakers Fair at Dixon's, bring your checkbook!
Don't worry Berks...............I won't give up! I'm too stubborn! Just blowin' off some steam. WOrse comes to worse, I just wait for the deer to come in to spittin' distance and club the darn thing over the head with it!

BTW- I gotta kill something with this one first..............before I buy another one!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Part of the Community

I spend a lot of time at the range. Many of the same people are there time and time again. All they do is shoot from a bench and brag about their groups. Offhand some couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. Practice how you hunt!!

Bill
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good point, Bill!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page