hairy hairy set - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

hairy hairy set

Alrighty. I guess this is more or less an opinion type thread. My 50 cal. Traditions has a rear set trigger, and the hairiest front trigger I've ever come across. It's cost me more than one Deer by touching off prior to my actually being ready. So I'll ask preferences. Do you mostly like a set/hair type of mechanism. Do some of you just adjust the front trigger to a preferred pull and use it, thus, skipping the set ? Do some keep the set/hair, but adjust the pull a bit higher to make it less "hairy" ? I'm planning on trying some different things off the bench the next couple weeks and would like to hear opinions. Thanks.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM

Re: hairy hairy set

If I am posted up, I use my set trigger and keep my finger outta the trigger housing ... If I am still hunting I wait until I am ready for the shot and if I have time I use both, if the deer spot me first, I just use the reg trigger... Just how I do it...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

I NEVER set that hair unless I'm raising to shoot. I swear, a stiff breeze can pop that off.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

First time I used one, I almost shot my foot!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It took a while, but I finally got mine adjusted to my liking, and now use it with each opportunity. I do wear gloves, but have the kind with fingers only to the first knuckle, with a mitten end which I can move out of the way quickly.

I found gloves and set triggers don't get along all that well.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM

The set Trigger on my take to the shoot Flinter is set very light. My Hunting gun, Frankenstein, has a single Trigger with a wide trigger guard and probably a 5lb. pull.. Works well as to accidental discharging.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:45 PM

I have a pistol with a .2 oz trigger pull. Takes some getting used to, not for everyone.

If you practice and are accustomed to them, you wonder why anybody would want standard trigger. If you are not accustomed to them, they are scary. Keep your finger out of the "bow" until ready to fire. They are not like some triggers that can start putting on pressure before you are finished aiming.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM

i learned NEVER to wear a glove on my shooting hand thicker than the under armor material..thats all i wear on my shooting hand if i need a glove on..tight fitting and enough to keep the breeze from killing my hand..

buddies pushed me a group of doe one year..got on a big one..cracked back the hammer..set the hair trigger and KABOOOM! scared me and the deer half to death! lol clean miss just over her back..had a regular glove on at the time and when i set the hair trigger and went to pull my finger out the glove tip must have bumped the hair trigger..

once you get used to them, i cant shoot a flinter without it..the trigger pull on my TC with the regular trigger is down right ridiculous...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I love my set trigger on my Lyman GP. the bear I shot in august was at about 25yds. and was shoulder deep on the bait barrel. I pulled the set trigger and he backed out the barrel and looked right at me before running off. He returned about 20 minutes later......he never heard the hammer fallin!!

I wish there was a way to quiet the set trigger down a bit though.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hate set triggers. give me a crisp no creep single trigger that breaks at about 1 pound and I'm happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page