not again - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

not again

As nancy kerrigan once cried out"why me, why me?" after the ole pole not firing on a doe on the second day at 15 yards and not coming up the hill on the third day i finally got em in range again. and once again they escape; with a scratch this time. not there more than 5 min and here they come. they come in line right towards me, 5 of them total. they come up the tree line frollicking in the snow almost cut up the hill towards me but stop in the field. a mere 50 yard downhill shot. i have a tree to lean on, get ready, pull, flash, boom. they all stand there. oh crap i think better reload. Well the nerves finally kick in and cant get into my fanny pack(at least its camo" so i reload and all have left but one standing broadside but before i'm completly ready the are all gone. i go to the scene and only find a tuft of hair. 50 yards later a spritz of blood. no drops, just little spritzes for 500 yards. i have to start wondering if i'll ever get one with this weapon. i've missed four, gun not fired on two and i've hunted almos t every afternoon since muzzle opened. only missed one this year and one misfire so far! i had a good feeling about tonight when i saw the weather forecast and it almost turned out to be a perfect hunt then my shot happened. at least it didnt appear to be wounded too bad and should recover. it never stopped running, bled any harded than a spritz for 300 yards from the left side only. i can only assume i hit very low on the belly and grazed it. recover little lady and see you out there again i hope. oh well someday i will scream to the top of my lungs when i do get one. that day will be the best hunt of my life

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 AM
The Man

Re: not again

I'll be listening!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ain't flintlocks great ...........bob

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 AM
The Man

got to love that click and no boom
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 AM

The fun of rock lockin'

Shootin' Deers and Drinkin' Beers... That's How I Roll...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 AM

keep at it!! it'll happen! for years i swore my gun was cursed...the last 2 seasons im 3 for 3! havent had a shot yet this season so my record still looks good!

my secret is being very selective and only taking GOOD CLOSE shots from a good rest...i could "took a whack" at a many this season...ive learned my lessons...mainly by watching buddies miss and miss and miss..ive missed a few..but once i learned to take closer shots and to keep my head down till the smoke clears, ive been deadly...

keep your powder dry and flint sharp...priming powder is cheap...dump it every half hour or hour and reprime..if its humid, rainy, snowy etc, i'll dump even more frequently...its cheap but priceless at the moment of truth...

also, carry an old film canister or pill bottle with some patches soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol...use that to whip your flint, frizzen and pan before the start of the hunt and anytime after you fire...alot of my buddies will get 1 shot...after that, they dont clean any of that and that burnt BP residue soaks up any moisture in the air, killing their priming charge...the alcohol removes the residue and any oils etc, and drys QUICK and clean...

also make sure you pick your touch hole...i piece of dirt, a big old grain of powder, crud from a previous shot etc can cause a hang fire or a flash in the pan...

just some things i picked up along the way i thought might be helpful to some in the similar boat...we've all been there...

also, might not be a bad idea to follow up on that deer tomorrow or next time your out...with this cold weather, "minor" wounds can be fatal...we had a guy hit a buck the first monday...tracked it all day...looked like a good hit but wasnt going down and was good red clean muscle type blood...stumped everyone on the track...next day we went back...the shooter went back at first light and took up the trail till he lost it...buck NEVER bedded...first drive my buddy jumped it from its bed..blood started pumping a little bit again and it fell over dead within 100yds of its bed...in the end, it was a brisket hit...never touched the vitals...without it being extremely cold, i doubt that buck would ever died..didnt loose that much blood and really wasnt hit hardly at all...wasnt a fatal shot IMO....but, the low temps make it very tough on them...and BP projectiles sometimes dont leave great trails...if nothing else, you got blood to follow thats going to lead to a deer sooner or later..id still hunt that blood trail when i got back out...or sneak ahead of it to where you think she may go to bed down...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

one thing i have found with the muzzleloaders and round ball in particular, don't assume it is "lightly" hit, many times the ball will pull hair in and dam up the wound channel thus looking as though not hit very hard, they are lethal but by no means what people are used to with a center fire, watch for a reaction from the deer (ie: a twitch or other indication) and follow, watch for other sign, how it's running or walking, uphill or downhill. I have had a number that after following for a while found a deer at the end of the trail
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

Ha i have more missed deer than you with the musket and still nothing but it sure is fun isn't it?

keep on trying.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

well i figure i better get back on the horse so to speak and went out today. snow covered the blood trail and the deer split up. right before dark i decided to head back towards the car and made it ten yards and noticed something tothe left and there come two deer about 15 yards away. i pull up but the run. one stops 30 yards out broadside and i pull the set trigger and just as i get to squeeze the boom button, she sprints and never slows down. there were 3 this time. i am so close i can taste it but still cant get over the hump. She ran across a flat hill, down into a valley and then i lost the trail on the wounded one the other night.

We Are...PENN STATE
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Banned

I missed five so far this Flintlock season. Four doe and a five point buck. I'll still be trying tomorrow. Last year I missed three doe and killed the fourth one I shot at. The largest buck I ever shot at was with a flinter in '98 an I missed. I'm full of hard luck stories with flintlocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page