Effective Flintlock kill range for deer ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Effective Flintlock kill range for deer ?

I did a quick search on here before posting this question, and didnt see anything, so I thought I would ask what you feel is the distance you will shoot with confidence on your flintlock ? (I ask, because I personally dont get good groups over 50 yards with my 20 year old 54 cal Renegade)
I am asking for accuarcy, not killing power distance.

Vegetarian: old Indian word for lousy hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Effective Flintlock kill range for deer ?

Not over 50 yds for me. I am still not comfortable shooting at deer over that.

Dale
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I saw guys at the range breaking balloons at 100 yards every time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

20 yds for me....lol
100 yds, if you are good.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 PM
The Man

100 Yards.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

with my t/c firestorm 50 yards with 2 50 gr pellets and a 240 gr cva power belt. it will kill a lot further than that but not in my hands. i think i am what is known in the business as "a flincher".

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:53 PM

With a 300 grain xtp in a sabot I will shoot out to 125 yards; RMC flinter with 100 grains of 3f Goex or 100 of Swiss 2f. My PA Hunter likes 90 grains and a 177/.490 ball. Max range on deer would be about 75 yards. It will group ok at longer ranges but inside 60 yards it has power for quick kills; longer range with a .490 roundball is a dice roll on effectiveness. Some drop in a short distance and some don't. I just won't drop the hammer anymore beyond 75 yards with a .50 roundball; even though it's my favorite projectile to load and hunt with.

If I have to put em down quick the 300 grain to the shoulders just makes em shutter and fall.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have shot woodchucks with my .54 Hawken at a shade over 200 yards...from a prone, rested position of course. When that big 430 gr Remington hunter bullet would hit one it was like someone teed off with an 8 pound sledge hammer. Just flips em in the air and tears em right up! I can put 3 shots into a raquet ball at 100 yards with every one of my rifles...even the little deerstalker with its short barrel. If a rifle doesn't shoot for me the way I like it, it gets worked or sold. I used to shoot 200+ rounds a year in the off season to build/keep muscle memory for hunting with and shooting flinters. My old man and his friends took the sport VERY SERIOUSLY and required attention to detail and skill or you didn't hunt with them. Not that it wasn't a complete blast because those late season flintlock hunts are some of my fondest memories. How far can a flintlock kill a deer...reliably? I would have to say that is very subjective to the person behind the rifle and how much energy the projectile has when it gets there. For me, I don't like a shot over 100 yards on a shooting stick <u>which I do not go flintlock hunting without</u>. I have made longer shots (149 yards down a grape row on the range finder), but I wouldn't conciously do it regularly.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The effecive range of a flintlock is determined by the width of your front sight. If it covers your target, (deer vitals) beyond 50/75 yards, you are guessing about the impact area of your shot. If you can't see the heart/lung area of your targeted deer because your front sight is too wide, then you should not pull the trigger. Our special season does not need reports of wounded/unrecovered deer.

After Christmas, we are limited to traditional blade front sights or the non-traditional , fiber optic sights. A killing, ethical shot rests with the shooter, and I feel confident that our group of post-Christmas, Flintlock Shooters understand the limits of their flintlock weapons.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterisme
I did a quick search on here before posting this question, and didnt see anything, so I thought I would ask what you feel is the distance you will shoot with confidence on your flintlock ? (I ask, because I personally dont get good groups over 50 yards with my 20 year old 54 cal Renegade)
I am asking for accuarcy, not killing power distance.
What bullet are you shooting and what powder and charge do you use? If it's the old Renegade like I have, they seem to like a slightly lighter weight bullet or a round ball. Mine will punch a raged hole at 50 yards with 245 gr powebelt HPs over 80 grains of Shockey's Gold.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page