Effective Flintlock kill range for deer ? - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
The Man

Re: Effective Flintlock kill range for deer ?

50 yds most of my shots are less than that where i hunt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

50 yards or less. I killed one at 100 yds once, but that was probably more luck than good management!!

There is no "X" in my bow!!
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 AM

For me, 75 yards is about it. Could go 100 only under specific conditions. The sights (fiber optics) are really my limiting factor.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM

I'll qualify this by saying up front that this is just my 2 cents. Flintlocks, in the hands of practiced shooters, are deadly out to incredable ranges: 200-300 yards. The issue with flinters relative to accuracy is lock-time and this can varry, not only from gun to gun, but depending on weather conditions and powder quality as well. You should only take shots within the range you are confidant in which you will plant an accurate ball.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:42 PM
The Man

I am sighted in at 100 yards, but I'm only comfortable out to 50 yards on deer. IMO, the sights cover up too much of my target to risk just wounding a deer.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

Watched a buddy kill a mule deer doe at 80yards up hill. Shot went in at the base of the neck and found the round ball past the last rib under the spine. This was with 85gr black powder, 54cal patched roundball. Very effective performance. We did not need to track that deer.

V10 advocate
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM

A flint lock is an ignition system. Just like centerfire, rimfire, percussion and matchlock. An ignition system has less to do with range, then the sights, rifling and projectile.

With a proper set up, sights, rifling and long bullet, a 45 caliber flint lock ignited gun could kill a deer at 500 yds. However, most flintlocks both production, and custom, are either rifled for roundballs, that simply don't carry energy well down range, or have sights for hunting, which do not permit fine aiming at a deer sized animal over 100 yds away. Heck at 200 yds, the factory front sight of a TC Hawken would obscure the deer completely.

Tim Murphy shot General Frasier off his horse at the Battle of Saratoga at a distance reported to be 430yds. (While perched up in a pine tree) it is also reported that it was his third or fourth shot.

For the average hunter with the average flintlock, 100 yds is about max for deer. But that also assumes, round ball rifling, standard factory sights, etc.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
After Christmas, we are limited to traditional blade front sights or the non-traditional , fiber optic sights.
non traditional or not, fiber optic sights ARE legal, correct?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Traderdave</span>
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yes, they are legal at all times on any weapon you choose.

Vegetarian: old Indian word for lousy hunter
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

An unfortunate, PGC decision, in my opinion.

Our one-of-a-kind Flintlock Season wasn't requested to harvest more deer. It came about at the request of some flintlock traditionalists, for the PGC to provide an opportunity for these "wierdo's", to hunt the part, dress the part, and shoot the part of early Pennsylvanians of the 17th. and early 18th. century.

Unfortunately, not all participants of this unique flintlock season shared the "historical" significents of this special season. Frizzens were altered, sights were altered, and projectiles were altered. Some of these changes with PGC blessing.

Fortunately, the required flintlock remains as the ignition system during this special season. Sights, projectiles, and frizzens mean squat if the hunter hasn't come to grips with the special needs of the flint striking steel sequence of a flintlock.

Let us hope this special Pennsylvania season remains "unique" for many years to come!

Best wishes for a special Christmas Holiday Season to All, and best wishes for each and every one of you heading out on December 26, flintlock in hand.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page