Jukar Muzzleloaders - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Jukar Muzzleloaders

Guys, what was a Jukar muzzleloader? I saw one for sale in a .45 caplock with a light colored stock with straight grain in very good condition. The guy did say it was a pre-CVA model? He said it had a 33" barrel with a 1:60 twist.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Jukar Muzzleloaders

I remember haveing a CVA, years ago that said "Made in Jukar, Spain." on the Barrel.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

Google yielded this:

Jukar ML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Jukar was a Spanish Arsenal that made arms under contract to other companies. They made some early replica muzzleloaders and eventually were under contract to build guns for CVA. Some of the guns aren't bad, some are junk. The thing to watcch for is whether it has a fly in the tumble of the lock and if the If it was a bolster breech, (early model) the interior lock workings may be crap. The later madoels with the drum and nipple percussion system were better. Some even had patent breech systems and aren't bad.

I once swapped for a Markham Arms Hawken kit made in Spain. What a POS. By the fifth or Sixth shot, the full cock notch was worn off the tumbler.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
Jukar was a Spanish Arsenal that made arms under contract to other companies. They made some early replica muzzleloaders and eventually were under contract to build guns for CVA. Some of the guns aren't bad, some are junk. The thing to watcch for is whether it has a fly in the tumble of the lock and if the If it was a bolster breech, (early model) the interior lock workings may be crap. The later madoels with the drum and nipple percussion system were better. Some even had patent breech systems and aren't bad.

I once swapped for a Markham Arms Hawken kit made in Spain. What a POS. By the fifth or Sixth shot, the full cock notch was worn off the tumbler.
How can I tell the different between a bolster breach and a drum and nipple breach and what are the differences? I imagine a patent breach is like the rifles I have with a hooked breech(T/C)?

Thanks-Jack

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 01:17 PM

A bolster breech is a breech in which a piece of metal is welded to the side of the barrel flat to have a place for the nipple to screw in. A drum and nipple has a round metal drum sticking out from where the touch hole would be on a flint lock and then the nipple is screwed into that round metal dum.

A civil war Enfield and the Union Springfields have bolster breech systems. The extension sticking up from the barrel that holds the nipple is welded to the outwer wall of the barrel. Some percussion patent and hooked breech guns have bolsters that are cast as part of the breech plug. Some of the very early Spanish guns had the bolsters welded to the barrel. They aren't dangerous with moderate loads. It is that the locks made to go with them generally had very poor quality lock parts made for as cheap as possible. Tumblers were case hardened and often if not hardened properly, the full and half cock notches wore off within a few shots. Suddenly you find the hammer dropping on the nipple because the notch gave way. Nothing like looking for a part for a cheap lock that is no longer made.

TC percussion breech plugs have the bolster cast into the breech plug and you will most likely see the seem just ahead of the bolster where the cast breech plug meets the barrel. Some guns are not hooked breech systems but still had the bolster cast as part of the breech plug andd the seam is still visible just ahead of the bolster. Some early Jukars were made that way and real early ones had the bolsters welded to the barrel material. Again, it isn't really the breech that is bad, just the early locks that generally went with them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Pic:

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM

Thats a drum and nipple. That lock is not the extreme crap that Jukar first put out. But it still might not be all that good. Good news is that CVA sold guns with that lock shape for 25 years and Traditions still sells guns with locks that have similar parts. So lock parts should be available. In the early 1980's, a person could buy one of those locks new for around $10.00 a slightly better lock with a fly in the tumbler was $12.00. Right up until 10 years ago, CVA sold guns with the identical lock plate shape. (The bob cat rifles)

CVA sold that rifle as the Kentucky rifle. At first it came with a button rifled barrel. The rifling was so shallow that sometimes they looked like smoothbores. Later they had a pretty good quality cut rifles barrel. Dixie Gun Works still listed that rifle, in kit form, from CVA in it's 2004 catelogue for $175.00. Although I believe I remmember them being sold finished in the 1970's for $79.00 on sale. Early models had plain tumblers in the locks. By 1984 the CVA models had a tumbler with an adjustable sear engagement screw.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

My buddy picked up a flintlock today what can you guys tell me about this gun. The s# on it is 000249# it is a 45cal but that is all we know.

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM

rifle, pistol? PICTURE?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page