Looking for some bullet help/advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Looking for some bullet help/advice

I have a .50 cal TC Firestorm muzzleloader I've had for several years. I have been shooting Power Belt Copper HP in 295 grain and my groups are 5-6" at 50 yds. Maybe a little more. I'm shooting 80 gr of FF and FFFF in the pan. I'm using a led sled and swabbing the barrel between shots so I'm sure it's not me or fouling. I'm thinking I need a new bullet. What do you guys use/recommend?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Looking for some bullet help/advice

Quad-F in the pan is good. Double-F as a charge powder is good. That's all I've ever used since 1980 when I started doing this.

Try the Hornady Pa. Conical. It's an all lead 240gr. that does not require a patch. I load 'em with a T\C bore button in between the powder and the Conical. Also, Hornady packs 'em with a ton of lube. I scrape all that lube off.

Or, for the same result, without the need to scrap the lube, use the Buffalo Balletts. Same results as the Hornady's. Identical POI.

Your 80gr. of powder should be fine. I shoot 100gr. I have shot these from my old T\C 1-48 twist barrel, but I now have a Green Mt. 1-70 twist.

FWIW

SW
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 PM

If it has the QLA at the end of the barrel, they could be your problem. TC often makes a habit of drilling these off center and causing nothing but accuracy problems with conicals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Powerbelts in some rifles throw wide groups..You may be right about the bullet..Get yourself some of the new copper bullets out there for 50 cals.. Hornady and Barnes make some nice ones that will group BETTER then powerbelt..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I couldn't find the Hornady or Barnes at the local place so I picked up some 295 gr. PB aero tips. I'm hoping that they may be better than the hollow points. I will try to get to BPS to pick up either the Hornady or Barnes tonight or tomorrow before hitting the range. Do you use aero tip or hollow pt with those?

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Banned

I've been shooting the 240gr. T/C Cheap Shot Sabots on top of 90gr. FF for two years and really like them, they are solid lead and hollow point. Dont let the low price fool you...these things fly great and pack one heck of a punch. I dropped a big ole doe last year at 93yds. with one full pass through shot, she went all of 40 and piled up.

Before I shot round [censored], then Powerbelts, and then T/C Shockwaves. I hated powerbelts they never seemed to expand like I thought they should and didnt fly as well as I wanted. The shockwaves were great but also had expansion issues, but they were deadly overall price made me switch from them. The cheap shots as I said are awesome they fly great, expand fast, and penetrate really well for $6 a 20pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OWeU-ygajU

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page