Cleaning neglected muzzleloader - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning neglected muzzleloader

You always learn a lesson and this is one of them. Clean your gun when you get home so you dont forget. Here is my problem and i hope its solveable. I did not clean my gun after shooting it off last year and it was in a somewhat humid envrionment apparently after it got home. This is a Traditons muzzleloader. That being said there is light rust on frizzen on the pivot point and on the inside lock mechanisms after you take off the barrel. I have really got in there with a brush and cleaned that out with traditions muzzleloader cleaner and i think i got it fairly good. Can i lightly oil these areas or can i put a thin coat of bore butter on them? I dont want to 'contaminate' anything. In addition, my bore is not in good shape. it was to the point that the first pass only went down and did not come up and i had a bear of a time getting it out. I did get it out and started at the top and progressively worked my way down the barrel for over an hour. I am able to get all the way down the barrell. When i get towards the very end it feel like it is a little 'rough'. From what i can see every which way i can shine a light i can not see any horrible area. patches i am running thru the barell are coming up with what i would say is a light yellow/green orange color. That is with solvent cleaner on it. Is there any hope for this barrell? should i try some other solvent in this barrell? Should i continue to clean it with the traditions orange cleaner or is there something better. I can see the rifling and dont see any horrible rust areas as far down as i can see. I do not have any type of scope to inspect the barrell. Am i better off buying a new barrell or can this be fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Re: Cleaning neglected muzzleloader

Exterior parts with light rust can be cleaned up with 0000 steel wool. (not anything coarser) Then polish any bearing surfaces lightly with a stone, lubricate and put it back together. A spot of a heavy oil such as STP, slick 50, or even a really good quality chain and bar oil (to ma a spot is less than a drop, for instance use a q-tip to just dampen the area desired to be lubed.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Part of the Community

For the barrel, get a wooden dowel, cut some barbs on the end similar to a pineapple. Wrap some fine steel wool around the dowel (the barbs hold it in place) Put some penetrating oil on the steel wool and start scrubbing the barrel with even strokes. It won't take out any pits but will remove any surface rust or other crud.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Regular Visitor

If you have access to a .357, or .38 nickle case (already fired) drop it down the barrel with the headstamp up. This will act like a mirror, and if you shine a flashlight in, it will illuminate the bore. A maglight flashlight works very well for this, as you can adjust the tightness of the beam.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 PM

you can even use a cordless drill put the wire brush made for the cal. you have plug the touch hole with a tooth pick and spray penetrating oil in the barrel let it sit and dumb it out put more back in and then use the drill slow up and down you my need to repeat a couple of time every couple of times run a patch by hand down the ballel when it comes clean finish it off with olive oil on a patch

hate hang fires
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM

blck powder and pure lead is pretty forgiving when it comes to slight barrel corrosion. I know some folks really like the steel wool thing in the barrel. To me that may unnecessarily wear the rifling. J&B bore cleaner is a greasy paste with a solvent and gentle abrasive in it. Auto finish rubbing compound, the white stuff not the red, is a paste with mild abrasive in it. (The red has much coarser abrasive in it.) Put some on a patch and run it up and down a dozen times, change to a new patch with some on it and repeat. Someone last week suggested a small piece of one of those green pot scrubber pads on a jag. Just shooting and cleaning will knock a lot of the roughness out.

Some pitting won't seriously affect the barrel or accuracy. Modern smokeless barrels are far more damaged by pitting because of the tighter tolerances and copper jacketed bullets.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

so this barrell is prob not trash? sounds like i need to go with some brushes and keep at it?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 PM
The Man

I use the drill and 0000 steel wool only on my smooth bores.My rifles get 0000 steel wrapped around a jag or brass brush.Some also use patch and toothpaste.Others lapping compound.Don't worry,its not trashed!It'll clean up.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Part of the Community

Even if it is pitted, chances are it will still shoot decent. The pits may cause it to foul more than usual.

Bill
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

the experiment is over...failed. Im either buying a new gun or a replacement barrel. ..prob a new gun. I was doing ok with the brush and patches and that was knocking out the bad stuff, especially down by the touch hole. Well, it must have been bad as the patch got stuck....now it got stuck before and i was able to get it out, but this time the ramrod snapped below the cleaning patch jag and is now wedged in the barrel. That being said i would spend more time/money getting a gunsmith to get it out..if thats even possible on a questionable barrel. There is no way you can grab it and i know there is no way to blow it out...its wedged. Learning the hardway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page