New years doe!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

New years doe!!

After my multiple misses and a mis-fire on the first Saturday, I was not feeling so confident in my flintlock prowess. Well, the new year started on a high note for me as made a fine shot on a mature doe on the first day of 2010.

We got a fresh dusting of snow here in Washington county and after a late start I hit the woods about 1:00 with falling temps, high winds and continued snow snowers. Tried still hunting a bit but after bumping some deer I soon realized with the crusty snow, sneaking wasn't a option.

Made my way to a natural funnel coming from bedding area and planned to sit tight for the rest of the afternoon. I wasn't there for 20 minutes when I catch some movement against the white background and make out three deer headed up the hill to me. With the snow camo on, I tucked myself even tighter into the blowdown and studied them intently through my Nikons. First was a female fawn, followed by a mature doe with a rack buck in tow. With my buck tagged filled in archery my focus shifted to the doe.

It became apparent as they closed the distance that they where headed straight at me but a big tree in front of me, which was my intended rest, became an obstacle. At a mere 6 steps the doe sensed danger and spun and trotted away. I stepped out enough for a clear shot and a a whistle stopped here at 20 yards, quartering away.

At the shot, deer scattered and I could see them headed downhill they way they came. A quick reload and I went over to look at the scene and found a good heavy blood trail. I found her piled up in a creek bottom but head still alert so another maxi-hunter with 90 grains of FFG out of the Firestorm capped a wonderful beginning to the new year.

Here she is. The late flintlock season is a special time of year for those of us that enjoy it. Good luck to all that are still in pursuit.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Part of the Community

Re: New years doe!!

Way to go. Congrats
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:28 PM
The Man

congrats. nice doe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice cow----oppppsss deer---wow nice doe!

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
The Man

Nice big one!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Congrats!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Sage

Nice doe there Gene!! Congrats!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
After my multiple misses and a mis-fire on the first Saturday, I was not feeling so confident in my flintlock prowess. Well, the new year started on a high note for me as made a fine shot on a mature doe on the first day of 2010.

We got a fresh dusting of snow here in Washington county and after a late start I hit the woods about 1:00 with falling temps, high winds and continued snow snowers. Tried still hunting a bit but after bumping some deer I soon realized with the crusty snow, sneaking wasn't a option.

Made my way to a natural funnel coming from bedding area and planned to sit tight for the rest of the afternoon. I wasn't there for 20 minutes when I catch some movement against the white background and make out three deer headed up the hill to me. With the snow camo on, I tucked myself even tighter into the blowdown and studied them intently through my Nikons. First was a female fawn, followed by a mature doe with a rack buck in tow. With my buck tagged filled in archery my focus shifted to the doe.

It became apparent as they closed the distance that they where headed straight at me but a big tree in front of me, which was my intended rest, became an obstacle. At a mere 6 steps the doe sensed danger and spun and trotted away. I stepped out enough for a clear shot and a a whistle stopped here at 20 yards, quartering away.

At the shot, deer scattered and I could see them headed downhill they way they came. A quick reload and I went over to look at the scene and found a good heavy blood trail. I found her piled up in a creek bottom but head still alert so another maxi-hunter with 90 grains of FFG out of the Firestorm capped a wonderful beginning to the new year.

Here she is. The late flintlock season is a special time of year for those of us that enjoy it. Good luck to all that are still in pursuit.
Sure this was not a road kill?
Look at the tire mark in the back ground and right on top of the deer.
Just kidding Great doe and I see you had a great season too.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Congrats Gene!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 PM
The Man

Way to go!! Thats a nice big doe!!

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page