Opinions on choices for first flintlock needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Opinions on choices for first flintlock needed

So I went out today and bought my first flintlock. Bought a Lyman Deerstalker 50cal. Picked up stuff the salesman recommended to me (powder flask, pan charger, pan tool kit), decided on Goex 2f and 4f black powder from reading stuff here.

Only things I was unsure on were my projectile choices. I picked up a package of 245gr powerbellt sabots, and for roundball and patches I got Hornady Black powder .490 roundballs and ox-yoke .010 shooting patches.

anyone have any suggestions, likes, dislikes, gripes against anything i bought? Any recommendations on other gear I would need that I didn't think about? I'm gonna grab a few speedloaders but other than that I have no clue what else I would need

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 AM

Re: Opinions on choices for first flintlock needed

See how the roundballs shoot with the patch combination that you have.I would start with 90 grains for the 50 cal.You may want to try a thicker patch if you are not getting good groups. You shouldn't need to fill the pan full of the 4f powder. A third to half full should be fine. If you over fill it your ignition may not be as fast as it could be.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:21 AM
Part of the Community

Like Sparkchaser says, you may find .010 patch a little thin for a .490 ball. I use .015 with .530 in my .54 Deerstalker. But it may work fine as well.

It sounds as though the salesman knew his stuff. Did you get a ball starter? I bought 6 of the TC 4 in 1 speedloaders. They work well. There is a small seperate chamber for your 4f priming powder on them.

Congratulations and good luck. I like the Deerstalker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 AM
The Man

Pan powder. Any powder will work. The fine stuff works in the pan chargers (plunger) best. Look at the relationship of the touch hole to the bottom of your pan. Factory guns seem to vary. Fill the pan no higher than the touchhole opening. Powder burns up and out.

I agree with the others about the .010 patches. Don't throw them away. I have a 54 that likes a .020 patch. You may discover that also as you experiment...015 is a good starting point. 70 grains of FF with the PRB is a good place to start also with your 50 cal. Treat your muzzleloader like your girlfriend. Learn what she likes best. They are all fickle.

Instead of using one .020, I find that two .010s work even better. Patch next to the charge is burnt, while the other is as good as new and reusable. I attribute the finer weave of the .010 and the fact that threads overlap when placed together as creating a stonger patch.

Frustration is normal..remember to have fun on the journey. For goodness sakes, if you encounter a problem, ask on here what you should do to get yourself backed out of it before you do alot of monkeying.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Make sure you get all the factory oil out of the barrel and flash hole,disk brake cleaner will work,also clean the frizzen,flash pan and flint with 91% rubbing alcohol.You can also use the alcohol between shots at the range,then 2 dry patches.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

If you know anyone that shoots BP or can get out to a range where they do it really helps. I found that I bought and tried several different variations of items (speedloaders, measures, flasks etc.) before finding what works best for me. If I had known anyone who shot BP in the beginning I may have saved a few bucks.

They guys here have tons of ideas and ways to do things, see what works for you, adapt it if you need to and then....smoke'em!!

Love to chat further but the sun is coming up. My flinter and I have a date with the local buck this morning and I don't wanna be late. Good Luck!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM

You have a 1:48 twist. It is a compromise twist to shoot both round [censored] and conicals. With only a 24 inch barrel, loads over 85 grains are pretty much a waste of powder because there is only so much powder that can burn before the ball exits the muzzle.

idea of the patch is to have the patch seal the bore around the ball AND to have it grip the ball tight enough to impart the spin from the rifling. If you load a ball and pull it out, you should see the weave pressed into the circumference of the ball where the patch sealed the bore against the ball.

For those compromise twist guns, a tighter patch ball combination usually works better. consider that the patch wraps around the ball, so you have two thicknesses of patcch in addition to the ball. So a .490 plus (2x .010) equals a total of .510 However when the weave pushes into the ball, the patch is compressed so it may actually only total .500 when pressed into the rifling. Whether that it good enough, depends a great deal on the rifling depth. With .495 [censored] those patches may work better. You will need to experiment. When I first started I thought a real tight combination was necessary and suffered bruised palms from starting [censored] every time I went to the range. That isn't necessary. It should be firm but not a bruiser.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 PM
The Man

Lymans cut their rifling deep.Its probably going to like a .018-.020 patch and a .490 ball.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 AM

Dont dryball. Forget to put your powder in before you push the patch an ball down

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOWITHONE
Dont dryball. Forget to put your powder in before you push the patch an ball down

GOOD ADVICE!!!

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page