New FL shooter: ?Black powder or BP substitutes?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New FL shooter: ?Black powder or BP substitutes??

I am new to flintlock rifle shooting. Have read as muych as I can find on the Internet and visited a shop yesterday to see what I could find out about getting started. I am wondering about the powder that is used. I have read a few places that said to only use real black powder, and not black powder substitutes. Is that the usual practice of FL shooters? Or, are the BP substitutes considered to be acceptable? And, is it even possible for someone to buy and store real BP? Where do I get it and what are the rules for storing it, etc? Do I need a permit or something?
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Re: Black powder or BP substitutes??

personally I prefer real BP. In my flinter it seems to burn faster and shoots better, besides I like the way it smells. Finding real BP is not as hard as you might think. You just have to ask the guy at the counter. They normally keep it in the back room and they will ask you for your DL. It is cheaper than the subs and you need no permit for it.

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

It's hard to beat real black powder in a flintlock, use FFG or FFFG in the bore & FFFFG in the pan.
As for storage ask your local fire dept. about any rules etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 PM

I normally keep my powder in a military ammo can. It keeps out moisture, but I don't think it would really help in an explosion

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:07 PM
The Man

No permit for Blackpowder needed as long as you have less than #50 at home.The reason the Blackpowder works better over the subs is Blackpowder has a flash pt of around 350 degrees where the subs are 700-950 degrees.This meens Blaxckpowder gives faster ignition.Subs work better in inlines where there is a hotter,more direct spark.
For the flinters,stick with the real stuff.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM

if its a flintlock, you need the real stuff. Why put all the money into a flinter, Into your hunt and then end up with a dud in the barrel, all because you chose to use the easier to find sub?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Black powder! Use 3F in the pan and for your charge---1 powder to buy and carry.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewyak
I normally keep my powder in a military ammo can. It keeps out moisture, but I don't think it would really help in an explosion
Nope---It acts like a grenade ---schrapnel sp? GBJ is an expert on this and I did quite a bit of study on it from the experts at Aberdeen Proving Ground Demolition Dept. The one guy got a free helicopter ride to MDs Shock Trauma due to a big black powder expolsion----dont let anyone tell you static is ok around blackpowder either! Many willpost and argue differently but I went straight to the source and the top experts for our military on this one.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Sage

Go with real black powder. Goex or Swiss. I'm 100% Swiss. Much cleaner burning & very consistent.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Just to get my terminology straight: "Goex" is a brand of real Black Powder, right? I am assuming that Pyrodex is a substitute BP, right?

Also, new question: In a typical range session of target shooting, about how many rounds would a typical FlintLock shooter fire? When I take a centerfire lever rifle to the range, I might go through 200 rounds or so at a typical day at the range. I am trying to figure out how much BP, round ball, etc I need to buy. I've fired a 30-30 and a Japanese 7.7 mm but nothing more powerful than that. So, if I get a 50 cal flintlock, am I going to have a sore shoulder after a few rounds, or is it more tame than I am expecting?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page