Now what am I doing wrong...moisture?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Now what am I doing wrong...moisture??

To prepare for my weekend shoot with my cva hawkins that just rec'd a new cleanout screw, and a really good cleaning...I put loose ff powder in a brass dispenser, with a nozzle you control with a lever that controls the rate of powder coming out...I also filled two small plastic storage canisters for "speed loading" with 90 grains each of the ff powder. I fired the two "speed loaders" first, but then I had two delayed fires in a row using the powder from the brass flask...both items, the speed loader, and brass container were on my back porch under same conditions...the delay was approx. 1 second....not my idea of fun yet. HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 AM

Re: Now what am I doing wrong...moisture??

There are alot of possible reasons.

reliable fast ignition requires almost [censored] consistency in loading and priming. Pour the powder the same way, rap the gun on the side to settle the powder into the flash channel the same each time, line the patch up the same each time, ram the ball home against the powder with the same pressure, each time. I suppose the powder in the flask may have absorbed enough moisture to cake up, and not flow into the flash channel, but I have never seen that happen. Since it is only a 50 caliber, you might fine that 3fffg works better.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I also have a musket cap conversion that I may need to try, as Im not having the best of time with the #11 percussion cap, though it was a brand new nipple...I really love shooting this gun, and other than the hang fires, which I hit low in the same general hole at 50 yards, the bullets that did go off without a hitch were touching at 40 yards on my test box aka target. al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

SO is fff more reliable because of its finer grade, and is it true I use less than...right now Im loading a standard 90 grains to get used to the gun, but am not feeling my consistancy yet....al
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 AM

3f will burn a little quicker.Start with 75 grains and see how that groups for you. Percussion guns can be a little finicky with any kind of moisture or humidity in the air. If the channel from the nipple to the back of the breech plug has any residue in it, that can make your ignition slow. Did you push a pipe cleaner in the nipple to clear any foreign objects?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I did...I dont really remember tapping the barrel...now it makes me wonder if since "no tap"...that maybe I didnt get any powder down by the spark, hence the delay in firing...so many unanswered questions...Im gonna go clean it now, and Ill be back to check in shortly..you guys truly rock on this forum....al
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 02:13 AM

three f, fffg has finer grains and can settle into a flash channel a little more freely.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Regular Visitor

Darton man when I insert my clean out screw and my nipple I put anti seize breach plug cream on them to seal out and prevent any moisture from getting into the threads. The modern cleaners and patch lubes from the major gun companies are the best ever, absolutely no oil based products that can seep into the breechplug threads where it can stay almost forever and leach into any powder you load. Don't try all of the home made concoctions that sound good because the major companies spend big bucks on R&D. Not to step on toes but shooters that mix all sorts of mixtures and melt their own lead and make their own [censored] and swear they are the best I would take with a grain of salt. There is no way they can make a rounder ball than the factory swaged ball. But I admit they are haveing fun (if breathing the lead fumes doesn't kill them) John
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 06:39 PM

Moisture of the sort that affects ignition doesn't creep in through clean out screw threads. He stored a flask of powder in a damp humid environment and was afraid his powder got too damp.

Some major companies spend major funds on coloring and repackaging the same old sludge so people are fooled into thinking it is new and improved. First, if the breech plug is properly seated, nothing will get into the threads. If anything gets into the threads it won't dampen or seep into the powder as much as the patch lube does. For the patch to have enough to soften fouling on the way it, it also has enough lube to soak into the powder. I agree about the anti seize compound, but buying special "breech plug" anti seize just means you spent $10 on a 5 cc tube of repackaged anti seize when you could have purchased a qt can full for $7.00 at a machine shop supply house. Same for gun oil. You can buy quarts of the stuff for nearly the same price as the little Outers container. They buy it in 50 gallon drums and repackage it with their own label so they can charge more.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use this and it works great even hunting after a rain.
I mix 1 bottle in a lb of 2f powder, Gun shoots the same, a
Stan

http://rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail/rmc_wonder_powder/427

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page