Help....need to do it right - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Help....need to do it right

OK, so I've been using a flintlock for about 7 years and basically I'm "self taught" (which is why I'm asking for help). I have only ever harvested 1 doe, but have missed MORE than I will admit. This year I want to get serious. I just installed a set of fiber optic sights on my TC Hawken and went out tonight to sight it in. After 3 shots at 25 yards I was on the paper. I'm shooting rb's with prelubed patches. My question is this....the first ball/patch went it fairly easy, but each ball after was extremely more difficult. Shoud I be cleaning between shots? Sure will be hard to do if I'm trying to get off a second shot (which has been pretty normal for me) at a deer. What can I do to make it easier?? Or let me know what I'm doing wrong.
THANKS!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Traderdave</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 10:37 PM

Re: Help....need to do it right

Almost all target match shooters wipe between shots. a wet patch followed by a dry. Some rifling fouls less, some loads foul the rifling less. Sounds like fouling is clogging it up a bit.

You are going hunting with a clean barrel. Why would you try to sight for hunting with a fouled barrel? It throws your point of impact off. Your second follow up shot in the woods will most likely be much closer and fine aim not as important.

You have a 28 inch barrel, what load and powder are you using.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm using 80 grains FFg Goex and FFFFg in the pan. Wipe between shots with alcohol? bore cleaner? I have a new bottle of TC No. 13 Bore cleaner.
I appreciate your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 PM

There are so many variables with ML shooting that there probably is not a single answer that will help. For example: manufacturer of powder being used / humidity / patch lube... However, try using Crisco as a patch lube. Criso is cheap and it will keep the burned powder soft, thus greatly reducing loading problems and causing the burnd powder to be easly removed as well. I started out using Bore Butter and I could not drive home more than 3 consecutive loads without brushing the bore and wet swabbing. With Crisco I have fired as many as 20 loads without cleaning the bore. Again, though, humidity will play a part in the accumilation of powder in the bore. The only issue I have with Crisco is that to properly apply the stuff you need to melt it and place the patch material in the melt and then let it cool to soak the wad. A bit messy but it makes a shooting session fun and not constantly broken by bore swabbing sessions.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good info, THANK YOU, wonder about crisco on the yellow pre-lubed patches? I used to use pre-lubed lead (they looked like wad cutters) and I could only get a few before I had to clean the barrel. If I clean between shots using #13 bore cleaner don't I run the risk of the inside of barrel being damp and not igniting? May sound dumb, but like I said, I haven't had much direction. I tell everyone I would have starved as an early settler. I drew a tag for the Management area flint hunt and I want to be ready. BOTH me and my gun. I'll take any and all advice.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Don't put the Crisco on patches that are already lubed - you want to use unlubed patches for the Crisco treatment. As for a wet bore, when you use a wet patch, follow it up with a dry one and when you get it down into the breach area swirl it around a bit to pick up moisture. I reccomend that you look up a Black Powder manual by Sam Fadala and give it a good read. It's full of information that new BP shooters will find useful. Have you visited Dixons in Kempton by any chance? Again, I don't know where you are so visiting Dixon's may not be a logical thing to do.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 12:03 AM

try useing spit patches prelube patches may be the problem due to the grease or oils on the patches

hate hang fires
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 12:38 AM
The Man

Swab between shots is good for consistancy.One spit/wet followed by 1-2 dry.Its that 1st shot out of a clean barrel thats going to do the job.What thickness patches are you using?Thicker often gives cleaner burning.TC's like .015-.018.
That TC will get 1 1/2" at 50yds or less with a RB.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Part of the Community

I don't have as good a groups with conicals either. With patched round ball I get 2" groups regularily and some times it is just a ragged hole at 50 yards. I use ordinary Crisco for lube. Maybe try a tighter [thicker] patch.

Generaly I can shoot 5 or 6 shots before it starts to get harder to load. Like Zimmer says sight your gun with a clean bore for hunting. A fouled bore usually makes my rifle shoot about 1 1/2" higher than the first shot.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 AM
The Man

With conicals you often get blowby till the barrel gets dirty.You can help that by using a felt wad under the conical.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page