Past 5 days recount- Got 1 today - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Past 5 days recount- Got 1 today

without firing a shot...

Well, I have not been out with the Flinter since Monday...Saturday was Raining pretty good here and I did not want to try and deal with wet powder like I did back in the early season, so I did not go out last Saturday...

Monday, I went into the wood lot at the farm at 6:30 am...did not go to my climbing stand, went to a place where I see deer regularly and they had been traveling the last few days of rifle season and picked out a nice pin oak and stood by it....

Saw a bunch of Squirrels, a hawk, countless different birds and a field Mouse...
The Field mouse was the high light of Monday for me...I happened to see it as it was getting light out about 10 yards from me.. I watched it move around in the leaves and go in under different tree roots, I watched it for about 20 minutes.....around 8 am, I happened to feel something crawling on my leg, I looked down and there is that Field mouse, Crawling up my pant leg... he must have thought I was part of the tree or another short tree beside the pin oak...

I shook my leg and flinged him about 15 feet into the weeds beside where I was standing..as he sailed thru the air, he looked like 1 of those cartoons where the cartoon caricature’s eyes bug out of his head...as he hit the ground, he dove into a hole beside a tree root and I did not see him anymore.....

I did not see any deer Monday.. After standing till 9 am, I decided to do a little sneak into the area where I knew the deer like to bed... took me to 10 am to sneak 200 yards...saw nothing...

Was not able to get out anymore since Monday until today....

I had arranged Last night with Knight that I would go in and stand at my Climber around 11 am and he would come out thru about an hour later and try to push the deer to me...

Well, this morning around 9 am he text me, he had to clear his driveway and then would be out... my Buddy who owns the farm was expecting us at 11 am and he was going meet us at the barn and hang out with us and do some target shooting with Knight's new Single Six he got yesterday....

I got to the farm at 11:15, my buddy who owns the place was still at his house... I knew knight was going to show not to long After so I decided to sneak over behind the barn and check out the grove of pine trees behind the barn for the deer normally bed down in there when it rains or snows and stick tight till the weather changes...

I snuck in and stepped up over the Dirt pile....I looked closely in the grove of pine trees for deer.....Nothing... So, I was thinking of sneaking to the Honey Suckle Patch and see if they were bedded up in there... just as I was about to go down over the dirt pile into the pine tree grove, I happened to look 200 yards out into the woodlot....

3 deer heading my way...I picked out a nice tree to lean up against and got ready...they were coming straight at me and had not a clue I was there...
Well, they did not know I was there, but they did not want to come up over the hill to the pine tree grove, they had it in their minds to cross the road that runs along the farm and into my Buddy's Brother's Property...they stopped just at the road edge and the lead doe(a Nice Big Fat doe) stood and looked left right left right left at the cars coming from both directions...she looked like a Human looking at traffic making sure it was clear to cross...

When there was no cars coming, she stepped out on the road and walked slowly across the road...

BAM...A Car about the size 1 of those Dodge Neon’s came along going about 55 mph and hit her and sent her up on a 30 foot bank…

I have hit deer, but I never saw 1 getting hit while standing watching them run out onto a road!

So, I decided, FRESH MEAT…I backed out from the pine tree grove, dumped the flash pan powder and went back to the truck and drove down over the hill to where the guy had stopped and the deer was laying… when I got out of the truck, I first looked at the deer, she was still kicking …I walked to the guy’s car and made sure he and his wife were ok..
They were ok and he asked me WHO he should call about it.. I told him,
“Well, if you want it, you need to call the PGC, if you do not want it, you really do not have to call anyone”
He told me he did not want it, So I told him I’d take it and make sure it did not go to waste…

I checked the front end of his car and this guy got VERY LUCKY!!!
All he had was a Grapefruit size dent in his hood and some hair pushed in around the head lights… no other damage…. No broken headlights, no broken grill, just a nice little dent in the hood…

When I walked back to the deer, she was DOA…No need to call anyone to come out and shoot her!

So, I gathered her up…Not the way I wanted today to go to get a deer, but I ended up with a Deer!

I called the PGC Reading Office and got a Recording that they were out of the office for the day….So, seeing I have a WCO on Speed Dial, I called him and left him a message on where it was hit, that it was a doe, and that I had it and for him to call me back with a RKD permit number…

Got a return phone call later on this afternoon…

GREAT DEAL!

Wish I could have had my First with the Flinter but it did not work out that way today… hoping for tomorrow…will see!

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to WCO Tim Smith for getting back to me with a number seeing no one was in the office at Reading…And some say Lebanon County Doesn’t have a WCO :/

THANKS Tim!!!!

Just wanted to share my highlights so far this late flinter season…

Hope All have a Happy New Year and SAFE New Year this evening!

Good Luck if your out there tomorrow, Keep your Powder Dry and Shoot Straight!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 03:19 AM
The Man

Re: Past 5 days recount- Got 1 today

quite a story, happy new year, and good luck with the flintlock!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Wow,i can honestly say i never went out hunting for deer and got one by car! Good Deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Very Little meat will be wasted... it looks as if when he clipped her and she went sailing thru the air, it broke her back...

No shreaded meat like normal in road kills...just a few small spots where there is some blood clots which will clean up nicely when I go to cutting it up on Sunday!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Woody,

Interesting story, Would it be possible to post a pic of her.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Awesome story!

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBrookHunter
Woody,

Interesting story, Would it be possible to post a pic of her.
Yeah I could...

How do you want me to take it?

1 picture of the hide laid out on the ground?
1 picture of the meat quartered up in the Fridge?

Both?

I was back out this Afternoon (Man, I gotta Remember, Evening starts at 6 pm, DUH).....Something VERY Strange is going on at the farm!!
Saw 3 more Doe...they did the same exact thing as the 3 did yesturday....with 1 exception... these 3 today MADE it across the road without any of them getting hit by a car!

I'm trying to figure out WHAT exactly is going on...I'm not the 1 spooking them and I been looking for what spooked them yesturday and today and can not find anything!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Sage

Good report woody!! me dont need no pics.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

I should have taken pictures today of the little "Beans" that were in that doe...

I was reading on here last night and saw R.S.B tell on how to find the Embryos in a doe at this time of the year...

I walked out today to the place we discard bones and stuff from critters we butcher and saw that the only thing the fox had eaten was the liver...

I poked around in the intestines and came up with the Uterus and found the embryos.....she had 2 in her....they were about the size of lima beans!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page