Friesen replacement suggestion..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Friesen replacement suggestion.....

I have a T/C Pennsylvania Hunter Flintlock. I am looking to replace the Friesen and would like a suggestion of what one to get. I am looking to ensure good spark and it was suggested I purchase another brand friesen. Also it this part universal as far as fit goes. Any suggestions would be great . Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Friesen replacement suggestion.....

http://www.rmcsports.com/catalog.htm
Try here
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send the lock back to T/C w/ a letter saying it won't spark. I got back a new lock w/ a letter saying they couldn't fit a new frizin on my old lock, prime powder leaked out...the fints & leather they threw in equaled the cost of the UPS to get it there.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 01:58 PM
The Man

Lyman frizzen.You might have to file a little to get it to fit where it hinges.File the frizzen,not the lock.You will have to compress your frizzen spring to remove.I do this with a vice grip and a strip of rubber so I don't mark the spring.Only compress very slightly.DON'T mash it.Once you have to old out of the way,eye ball so you can see the side of the frizzen hinge that needs filed.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM

If you have access to a needle nose vise grip, using a piece of card board (cereal box will do) to pad the jaws, you can compress the spring. The vise grip can be adjusted to only close as far as necessary and not over work the spring. I have been using a small vise grip for that for 30 years. There is a small regular jaw vise grip on sale right now at Lowes for about $2.00. It is only 4 inches long and works great. For that price it is a handy shooter box tool

I agree that sending to TC for work under the life time warranty is probably easiest, assuming it comes back in time to get ready for flint season. Replacement frizzens are available from TC. A Lyman frizzen is a bit better in quality but definitely requires hand fitting. When fitting a frizzen, there are two critical fits. The base of the fizzen must seal the edges around the pan, and the side of the frizzen should be snug up against the barrel flat with out binding. ie a hair's breadth between. to prevent powder from getting out prevent dirt getting in and to help keep out moisture.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for help. Bought a lyman today. I am fairly mechanical so I will get it on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page