[almost] or a underhammer.MULE EARS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

[almost] or a underhammer.MULE EARS

reading about mule ears..... interesting.

direct fire, just like an inline .. or [is] like a underhammer,
i've been thinking of getting a lock, for my lyman trade rifle.
anyone here shooting a mule ear ?
thoughts ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM

Re: [almost] or a underhammer.MULE EARS

I have seen a few mule ears, (or side slappers as some call them) Never owned one. The principle of having the fire directed imm ediately from the nipple into the main charge has got to be slightly faster than the traditional percussion guns design. In addition, some mule ear locks can be used with double set triggers, making for slightly better accuracy. I think Pioneer Arms near Philadelphia sells mule ear locks. I have never seen one of their locks and have no idea what quality Bernie sells. (I met him years ago and bought two throwing knives from him)

As in any shooting. The equipment can be the most technologically advanced that there is, but, it has to have a good barrel for the purpose and a good shooter as well. A crappy shooter still won't win matches with the best equipment, but a good shooter can still place with crappy equipment.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 03:57 PM

My oldest Son had a Mule Ear, Think it had a Dale Story side lock on it. Instant , right now, ignition. I am thinking that it didn`t have a half cock position on it. Please correct me if I am wrong. He had trouble with it staying cocked so he sold it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

thanks guys ? dale story ? he still make them ?
im looking for a mule ear lock for my lyman trade rifle.
looking everywhere, called pioneer arms, he said he's out, told me to call L&R , no answer there.... still looking.
again. thanks.
peabody
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 05:53 PM

There are several lock makers in this country. The problem is that some don't advertise except by word of mouth. Some are getting up in years and may not be making locks any more. Such items are rarer than a Yazel 10 ring pistol. (Got one)

You may have to check with some of the old timers who went to Friendship. Some of these folks are seldom heard of outside of Friendship matches.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
There are several lock makers in this country. The problem is that some don't advertise except by word of mouth. Some are getting up in years and may not be making locks any more. Such items are rarer than a Yazel 10 ring pistol. (Got one)

You may have to check with some of the old timers who went to Friendship. Some of these folks are seldom heard of outside of Friendship matches.

i just wonder ? why is it ? that everything i like is , not made anymore, not the latest rage, or rare as hen's teeth ?
am i backwards ? not in the groovy kool groove ? or what ?
or maybe ...i've been out in the woods too long. maybe should go to town more ?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:10 PM

Navy arms had some really cool side slapper guns made about 15 20 years ago. they came in 36 and 45 caliber. Maybe, just maybe, they could tell you where to find a lock.

Did Bernie at Pioneer Arms say he was going out of business, couldn't get them any more, etc?

I am kind of surprised that L&R hasn't made one. Honestly, I have never even seen the way the interior of those locks work.

I'm sure that there has been a few articles in Muzzle Blasts over the years. Don't know how good an archive system they have.

The Navy Arms mule ears were probably made in Italy. But without knowing which of the several companies, or even if they are still in business, it would be difficult to contact them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

i've been calling everybody i can find.
nothing yet.still looking.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
New Arrival

I have a mule ear that I had built for the monthly shoots held by a lot of the PA BP Federation clubs in my area. It uses one of the first mule ears put out by Pioneer Arms. I originally ordered it from Dale Storey and was informed by him that he had just sold his lock business to Bernie Tulino at Pioneer. It has been a reliable lock and yes, the ignition is fast. While I think the speed may be good for a couple of extra points in a match (for a good shot that is, not me), I'm not sure that it would be a great improvement on a hunting gun. Nothing wrong with it, mind you, but a Lyman caplock is a very good lock also. It's been quite a few years since I got it, so I imagine that Pioneer has changed/improved them since that time. Of course, any reason to get more black powder stuff to play with is OK!

PA Hunter-Trapper Education Instructor
Member-NRA Benefactor, NMLRA, PA Federation of BP Shooters
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM
New Arrival

After reading the OP a little closer, I should have also said that, assuming the Lyman is a caplock, I don't see how you could convert it to a mule ear with the patent breech that Lyman uses. Of course, with a flint it would be theoretically possible to replace the existing vent with a nipple. If everything lined up properly, of course. If percussion, you would have to go to the extreme of replacing the barrel, etc. After a certain limit, it would be cheaper to get another gun if you really want a mulie. Not that that's bad.

PA Hunter-Trapper Education Instructor
Member-NRA Benefactor, NMLRA, PA Federation of BP Shooters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page