great gun...... terrible sights. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to deerpusher Send a message via Yahoo to deerpusher
great gun...... terrible sights.

i have a traditions pa pellet, and my buddies have traditions deer hunters. they shoot fine one problem though, the sights. they arer the cheapest plastic things ive ever worked with. ive broken mine once 2 years ago and my friend broke his last year. now i broke mine by overtightening the screw on the back sight so i tightened it pretty tight this year and left it at that. wanlking today i accidently grabed the sight and it slid all the way up. now i was wondering to they make steel sights or anything i can swap out and mount on my flintlock? an alternative is my friend said super glue it after you get it on./ i was just thinking if my shot changesd last year the sightes arent going to if they are supperglued. Any info will help.

hunt hard, die rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Re: great gun...... terrible sights.

The fiber optic rods in the front sights are going to break sooner or later; so plan on it and buy some replacement strand. It's easy to change and not overly expensive.

Now to the rear sights; I don't know what they are like on your gun but most are junk. I hate the allen screw adjustable sights; they are cheaply made and will strip out
the threads. You need the allen wrenches to make adjustments and you never have them with you plus the tiny little allen screws are going to egg out sooner or later. The RMC fiber optic rear sights are junk as well; I don't know if the TC sights will fit them or not yet but if they do those are getting changed out after season as well.

I have the TC fiber optics rear sights on a couple of my guns and they are click adjustable which is what I like. I don't care for the high wings on them but they work just fine. It's a pretty good sight compared to most others on the market. Maybe they would fit your gun and maybe you would like them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:34 PM
The Man

ha, i had the same problem with my deer hunter. i broke off the front site and the back order for them is around 37 years. so i found a close match at dicks. made it fit with a new screw and some gorilla glue. its still on there set dead for 4 years now.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

call them up. might be a known issue

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

Broke a friends rear sight off while taking out breech plug. Same gun as yours. Luckily the local gun shop had a box of junk plastic parts from all the other ones that have been broken. Got what I needed.

TIP: a small "o" ring in that rear elevation screw help with the overtightening.

The FO's on my Lyman are from RMC and have the allen screws. Never had an issue and have never had to move them since I put'em on. They are metal and I have changed the FO strands to make them brighter. Changed back on forth this year from FO to peeps and gun has been dead on with both even after taking them off and on repeatedly.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4095
ha, i had the same problem with my deer hunter. i broke off the front site and the back order for them is around 37 years. so i found a close match at dicks. made it fit with a new screw and some gorilla glue. its still on there set dead for 4 years now.

See this post...

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...40#Post1501540

A Phone call works wonders instead of looking at thier website....

I called, those sites are not on back order..They told me on the phone there is 3 ways of buying them... the whole site assembly-rear and front site, or just the front site alone or the back site alone...

All I ordered was the rear site for that is all I needed, but they told me that thier website has a glitch in it on things that are not on back order!

I will be ordering a few whole assmbly sometime next spring for I noticed today I have a hair line crack in my front site!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 AM

Next time you guys are in Bass Pro or Gander Mountain....stop and take a look closely at the Traditions Flinters... almost all of them are missing sites... I'm betting guys look at Traditions website and see the sites are listed back ordered and then do not call and then while in Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, pick up and look at those traditions flinters and rip the sites off and get a 5 fingers discount on them!

Knight and I have been paying attention to this every time we go into Bass Pro and Gander Mountain... we have only found 1 flinter out of about 10 that has all the sites on it!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 AM

My son broke his front sight last night. Went to local shop and they had a sight to fit on it which is aluminum. it is a RMC AIMRIGHT FIBER OPTIC SIGHT ML449-7. It comes with the front and rear sight and it was $25. guess we will be sighting in again.
Till next season I will be getting one for mine.

Ralph O.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:42 AM

I also suggest checking out RMC, I bought sights from them for my lyman and they are super, and not expensive

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 11:52 AM
The Man

I bought a replacement Williams sights for my cabelas hawken rifle from cabelas. They had sights to fit many different guns listed. May want to look into that. They are made of metal, and have held up well for me. I think I paid around $40 for them several years back.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page