hunting techniques in PA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

hunting techniques in PA

Although I live in Missouri I've done all of my deer hunting in Utah and never shot a white tail, just mule deer. This is a completely different game, the woods are so thick and such little public land compared to the west. You never see a tree stand in the west, actually very few trees and all of the deer I've shot has been from the seat of my pants, not much stalking in the more open forest of oak brush and pinion trees but our hunting has been very successful. Do you guys still hunt, stand hunt, drives, or tree stands. Out west my favorite rifle has been my 6MM rem or a 243. Here just about anykind of muzzle loader is legal, scopes, percussion, sabots or whatever. I've had muzzle loaders for the past 20 years, side locks and in-lines but never hunted with one. I've given up Utah and Colorado as I can't handle the high altitude any longer at my age. If you've never tryed hikeing at 11,000 feet you don't know what you're missing, and the 800 feet here is much easier to breathe, If you plan on an elk or mule deer hunt in the mountains go now while you're young. Sometimes your car won't even run that high up. Anyway I was just curious what technique works for you in PA and do you need a lease to be successful?...........John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: hunting techniques in PA

I think every method you mentioned is used here. Pa has a diverse landscape. From ag fields full of corn,alfafa, soybeans,etc to large expanse's forests, both private and public. You'll see a 200 acre farm hunted by 1 to 4 people, a 50 acre tract hunted by 6 people. a 6,000 acre state property hunted by 100 people, with 75 % of them within 1/4 mile of the parking lots on the first day. The second day there maybe 30 or 40 of those guys still there. It all depends...
The guys hunting the private land are more likely to be hunting from a treestand, temp or permanent stand, some bordering on a cabin on stilts. Public land is more than likely to be a ground blind or possibly a portable treestand. Lots of deer drives still happen, again it depends more on the region imo. Still hunting highly pressured bucks isn't easy. Imo hunting public land is a crap shoot unless you know it well and use the hunting pressure to your advantage. Like getting in super early and walking in further than most are willing to. Knowing escape routes and taking advantage of the pressure can be productive. Again this is just how i see it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:28 PM
The Man

You summed it up nice grovey.I,ve done all of the above nyself and enjoy stalking and sneakin around and ambushing the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 PM

i have to agree with grovey i have hunted private land for 14 years and see lots of deer when i do hunt public land lucky to see one deer but ill see lots of hunters

hate hang fires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page