Hard time loading Traditions Buckstalker - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Hard time loading Traditions Buckstalker

I recently purchased a Traditions Buckstalker inline. I really like it except I'm having an extremely hard time pushing the sabots in. Any thoughts on me using the PowerBelt Aerotips? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hard time loading Traditions Buckstalker

When using sabots you have to clean for plastic fouling as well as powder fouling. Plastic will build up in the barrel with time and repetative shooting, and if its not cleaned it will affect accuracy and cause loading difficulty. Peronaly I use powerbelts for inlines and patched round balls for flinters.

You can't get em from the couch.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Start using Blackhorn 209 Powder for starters.You can try Tc Shockwaves.I use the 300 gr.With the BH209 and Shockwaves i have shot and loaded,shot and loaded for at least 30 shots without cleaning in my TC Triumph and the accuracy was just as good from the 30th shot as the first shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 06:54 PM

I have the same gun and also love it.

I would also try looking into other sabots. I recently spent a good bit of time working on loads to take out west, and noticed that some loaded easier than others, even if they were advertised at the same diameter and were the same brand. That was even swabbing the barrel with a wet patch, then twice with a dry patch between each shot (using T7 but will probably go to the Blackhorn once my powder jug is empty). I do not use bore butter to load.

Two of the sabots that loaded easier than the others in my gun were the Hornady Low Drag 300 grain SST and the Barnes Spitfire 250grain T-EZ. Note that both advertised to load easier, and they both seemed to for me.

I wound up using the Barnes Spitfire T-MZ, which gave me a better grouping at longer distance needed for Wyoming. They were a complete pain in the butt to load though, so I will go back to the T-EZ's for PA hunting.

I had previously used 245grain HP Powerbelts with no problems and took deer as far as 120 yards with them, but wanted a longer, narrower sabot for out west. The sabots do hold a better group then the PB's for me and seem to seal and seat better, so keep that in mind.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have a Traditions Buckskinner sidelock percussion. I have not found any bullet that loads easily. Powerbelts load the easiest but accuracy is not so hot.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Try a T/C Maxi Hunter----------I have a Traditions Buckskinner(I haven't shot in years)and used to shoot the Maxi Hunters with good results.
Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I have some good suggestions I will be trying soon. I don't get on the computer much these days so you may not hear from me immediately after posting. Thanks again! Happy Hunting!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

At the range try swabbing the bore between shots use regular Windex to dampen a patch run that down the barrel then a dry patch twice .....should help
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

The Buckstalker and Buckskinner I believe are two different MLs. As far as the Buckstalker I started with one and I had no problems as long as I swabbed with a damp patch and one dry patch between each shot. I used PowerBelt ATs in 245 grain. Hope this helps.

Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight .30-06
Marlin 336CS .30-30
Beretta A300 Outlander 12 ga.
Mossberg International Silver Reserve II 12 ga.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The traditions are notorious for taking a lot of time to break in in terms of loading. It will get better with time.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page