More Fun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

More Fun

Went out to the range again today with 2 buddies who will be hunting with the flinters.

I shot about 3 times at 65 yards where they were shooting, and backed the target out to 80. First time I shot the deerstalker that far. Wanted to see what it would do beyonf 65.

50-65 yards would be my limit for deer, just a personal limit.

But I took my last 7 shots at a new sticker at 80 yards, and was mighty impressed with the stock sights on this rifle, and the ability for it to group at that range being only a 24" barrel. There's a fine line between the 40-50 yard groups and the 80 yard groups for most rifles with this length of barrel in my experience, but this rifle held it together quite well at that range.

Might be the last time I shoot or take it out of the cabinet until the summer possibly... everyone else I shoot with will be hunting from Saturday on. And I will be bringing out the rifles for target shortly. It's been fun taking it to the range with the guys and burning powder for sure. She's all cleaned up and oiled down for storage...

I can't for the life of me make the adjustment for it to hit dead center... I am tapping too lightly obviously, I'm afraid I will move it too far. It's just tough to figure out how far it moved, if it moved at all. Next time I shoot it I am marking the barrel with something. But no luck on the moving today. Tried 2 different times to tap the rear sight, was just tapping too light. It's a small adjustment, but I can live with it for now. She will be a safe queen until summer most likely, unless the guys want to shoot again between now and then. So most likely this will be the last target I will have to put you guys through the agony of looking at

I got it to move a tad hair today, like 1/2" but that was it. Those Lyman wedge sights are nice in many ways, but tough in others... I'll get it sooner or later.

I wish every last one of you guys the best of luck out there with your flinters... I would love to join you, I think next year I will be able to with the purchase of a doe tag. Been too stubborn lately to buy them due to the herd deflation. But Merry Christmas everyone... be safe, shoot straight, and enjoy yourselfs out there. Hope to see a few deer down in the late season from you guys

Thought I'd share today's 80 yard target with you guys... was very shocked that I didn't have much drop from 50-60 yards to 80. I was expecting an inch or two at minimum, but not much at all. My 50-60 yard POI was just 1/2" to 1" higher than this.

Rifle: Lyman Deerstalker .50 caliber LH Flinter

Load: 70 grains Goex 3F tucked under a 240 grain Hornady PA conical. 4F in pan.

Shootin' Deers and Drinkin' Beers... That's How I Roll...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 PM

Re: More Fun

That is some good shooting Nuge for a smokepole, I cant even shoot my .270 that good!!!!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 11:12 PM

Sure looks good Nuge,I think you could safely tack on a few yards past your 50-65 limit!Do you also shoot Pa conicals from your Renagade?

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 11:44 PM
The Man

good job bud. if you ever run out of cans to mark groups, give me a call. lol

"god fearin, hard workin. combine driver"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rober
That is some good shooting Nuge for a smokepole, I cant even shoot my .270 that good!!!!!!
Thank you. I think it was just one of those days where everything goes good.

I know that some of the rifles some guys like Bunky, Zimmer, 410-er, Loggy, etc. just to name a few, would shoot circles around this one, and me

For a mass produced factory flinter, it's definately not too bad of a shooter it seems. I think it is settling in now. I have 73 shots through the bore on it, with 2-3 JB bore paste applications to polish the bore/lapp it.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdrnut
Sure looks good Nuge,I think you could safely tack on a few yards past your 50-65 limit!Do you also shoot Pa conicals from your Renagade?
Thanks.

I think my limits comes alot from being a bowhunter. I keep some strict personal distances on myself.

I am not sure what this load would do on a deer at 80 yards and past... it's 70 grains, so it surely should be fast enough. Not quite sure what the conical would do. Haven't heard anyone shooting anything with them yet. I am guessing similar to a round ball or maxi hunter, in between possibly.

I am shooting a round ball and patch out of my .54 Renegade, with 90 grains of 2F. It will shoot a little better than this rifle... I shot my first buck ever with on a cold January day, we've been best friends ever since.

I looked up the other day on a few sites looking for conicals, I didn't find anything in the .54 caliber range. Although Buffalo Bullet I believe still makes the Ballet for .54 caliber.

I never found a reason to switch... since I have shot it and got used to that rifle, it really shoots good. But doesn't come out often. Hopefully I can change that.

The Lyman was bought to be a backup to the T/C...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 01:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

OK, thats definately exceptable. Heck, there's not even a flyer.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 11:27 AM
The Man

VERY GOOD!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 12:14 PM

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 01:13 PM

That's some great shooting!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page