Help if you can... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Help if you can...

So I have been trying to help a friend of mine get his CVA Optima 45 cal sighted in. We first started with a very old cheap scope and I told him that it had to go so he ordered a new 3x9x40 Thompson Center scope like I have on my CVA. We mounted the scope today and off to the range to what I thought would be a short trip. Two hours and 40 rounds later we still do not have this gun shot in. I performed field cleaning every 10 or 12 rounds. We were shooting at 25 yards and we just couldn't get this thing zeroed. I like to feel that I am pretty good at this stuff but right now I am at a loss. I am looking at several things like, human error in markmanship, fouling of the barrel, a brand new scope that is bad, or a bad gun. Is it possible that this gun only likes shooting 1 or 2 rounds before it needs cleaned? Any tips or suggestions would be appreaciated.

"When seconds count…the police are only minutes away”.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 AM

Re: Help if you can...

When zero'ing mine I clean between every shot. just a patch on a jag with a good cleaning solvent and several dry patches. However, I read that you changed scopes to a more durable scope but I would also change the mounts, that is probably your problem. just my 2 peso's.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

We discussed changing the mounts but to be honest with you I can't see how they could be the issue. He bought the gun off of somebody we know who bought the gun brand new and shot it very few times. The mounts came with the gun when he bought it. It is definately something to consider though. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 AM

cheap scope mounts will always be a headache.

TC scopes lately ive been reading on are junk these days. Some are getting around 20 shots before they start throwing shots all over the place.

Try open sights and see.

You didnt say what load youre shooting or what youre doing in between shots.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Regular Visitor

What have you been doing with powder charges? Sometimes guns get finicky about how much powder is used and will throw shots all over the place.

I would start by using a minimum powder charge, 50 - 60 grains and see if you can get that to group and then move up. If the powder charge doesn't work then try frontier gander's suggestion with the open sights, if that doesn't work you may need to experiment with the bullet you are using. the CVA manual will have recommendations for powder charges.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:10 PM

What kind of powder? How Much? Trip 7 has the infamous crud ring.

For sighting in swab between every shot, wet patch then dry patch.

Keep everything as consistent as possible from shot to shot. Measure the powder the same each time, pour it down the barrel the same each time, when loading the bullet, load it and seat it on the powder the same each time. Even down to the same pressure on the rod each time.

What kind of projectiles are you using. Could they be undersize?

There are a number of things that could be wrong.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

He is using the same loads that I use in my CVA. I bought mine several years ago and was pointed in the direction of using TC Super 45XR 180gr. XTP Mags. with two 50 grain Hodgdon Pyrodex Pellets (100 grains). This set up is dead on deadly accurate with my CVA which by the way has a 3x9x40 TC scope on it. So we set his gun up the same way and these are the difficulties that we are facing. One note though, he did some reading on the scope last night and read 2 interesting things. The scopes adjustments are 1/16" for every click at 25 yards and it states that you should fire 3 rounds through the gun before making anymore adjustments. I have been taught to tap on the scope after making adjustments so I would think that would mimmick the 3 shots. We are going to look the gun over carefully tonight and then go back to the range and start over. Thanks for everybody's input.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

you can get 10 exactly same guns and each will want a differant load
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:54 PM

FYI, the 1/16" @ 25 yards is equal to 1/4" @ 100 yards(So, it's completely normal and typical for a scope....most are 1/4 MOA at 100....some are 1/2 MOA at 100....target scopes are often 1/8 MOA at 100).

1/16" @ 25 yards
1/8" @ 50 yards
3/16" @ 75 yards
1/4" @ 100 yards
....and so on.

In reality, it's not even inches, but minute-of-angle. Inches is close enough for most....especially with a muzzleloader. One MOA=1.047" @ 100 yards.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Regular Visitor

First thing I would do is to scrub the bore, and make sure it does not have plastic, copper, or lead fouling. Get it back to raw steel. Use a bore brush with a good solvent, swab with dry patches, and then coat the bore with the bore solvent (Hoppes #9 benchrest works well) and let it set wet overnight. Next day run dry patches thru the bore. You may have to do this for several nights, depending on how clean your dry patches come out. Next, scrap the pellets, and use granular powder. Try using Pyrodex RS, and start with 60, to 70 grains, and work up in 5 grain increments. Swab between shots. Make sure the barrel does not heat up too much, let it cool. I also would use a 240, or 250 grain bullet/sabot combo. If you get good results with these projectiles, then try the 180's. Every gun shoots differently, even the same models. Just because yours likes a certain load, another may not. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page