October 17 cast and blast - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

October 17 cast and blast

October 17 - I took the afternoon off work, headed home to get the gear in the car for a "cast and blast" afternoon. Bow, CVA Hawken 50 cal, pack, tree stand, and spinning rod into the truck. Got to a local pond on South Mountain and fished for bass for about an hour. Water has cooled off and the bass were hard to find but eventually I got into 5 of them on a 2 inch Rapala. Kicked up 3 wood ducks when I started fishing and watched a red tail hawk circle up high. Picture perfect sky and lots of colorful leaves.
Left the pond after 3 and drove to the rod and gun club. Decided to use the muzzle loader and sit for does. A pair of boys rode up on bikes wearing orange and we talked for a bit. The older one was taking his friend out squirrel hunting to introduce him to hunting. He said he had shot a doe a few weeks prior in the field next to the car. I took his advice and went to the field corner and set up my tree stand.
Just before 5 pm out pops a doe from the woods into the field edge, and begins feeding on the planted clover. The field is about 40 acres of corn but the 10 yard edge around the entire field is clover. I wait on that deer because it is very small, and sure enough a bigger one steps out to feed. I am watching these two trying to figure out if I can make the shot. Estimating the distance is giving me second thoughts – too far or close enough I’m asking myself. The nervousness fades away and I realize that they are not getting closer or farther just staying there feeding on clover. I lined up my CVA Hawken 50 cal on the center of the chest of the larger one and let it fly! A huge cloud of white smoke obscures what happened, but one whitetail is bouncing away and down the steep hillside to disappear. Yikes, I hope that’s not the one I just shot. The other one tears off in a straight line from where it was standing into the corn field. That’s the one I hit I am pretty sure. Waited 5 minutes and mentally marked where the corn was disturbed and got down. Went to the spot where they stood, no blood but white hair on the ground. Walked the rows of corn and found lots of blood! A few guys showed up and asked if I needed help, and I took them up on it. We spread out and found her piled up, not 100 feet from my truck. Very convenient.
Some firsts for me
First deer I ever shot from my portable tree stand, which I’ve been using for 21 years! Finally broke the “curse” on my tree stand.
First deer cleaned with a knife my wife got me for Christmas last year, Pendleton Lite sheath knife. Wicked sharp.
First deer in 3 years.
First deer at over 30 yards, hit this one center of the chest at 60 yards.
And another deer with what I like to call my “meat gun”.

Hunting 5C and southern 4C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: October 17 cast and blast

This story is making it very hard to be at work right now lol congrats on the deer though and an awesome day!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Part of the Community

Congrats! This on Franko's by any chance?

See What You're Hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Congrats!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:04 PM
The Man

Sounds like a great day!

“did you get all that on camera sport?”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page