Missed again...TWICE - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Missed again...TWICE

I'm fairly certain I was never meant to get a deer with the muzzleloader. I got up around 4:30, and was out by 6. I only went a little bit when It came to me that the batteries in my flashlight were toast. I just changed them a couple weeks ago, and never used it since. I stood in the dark for about a half hour till I could see to walk in the woods. As soon as it got light out it started to rain. I sheltered the powder pan as best I could with my hat under my arm. Everthing looked fine when it was done raining, but water would fall from the trees when a gust of wind would come through.

I decided to go for a short walk to where I have seen deer in the past. I got settled in, and was just watching squirrels for a little while when I saw the back of a deer going the wrong way. I reached into my backpack as I thought what the heck, and tipped the can a few times. With in a minute or so I could see it coming my way. Decent size doe...She stepped into a small window and BOOM. Nothing. She just stood there. I reloaded as fast as I could, and took aim. Click. Nothing. I cocked the hammer again, settled the sights at center of mass and BOOM. The woods were full of smoke, and I could see nothing. I thought I had her, and she was just laying there. Wrong. I hit the side of a tree low, and took off a branch high.

Guess I'll have to try again.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Missed again...TWICE

what fun is it if you hit what your aimin at or your gun dosnt go off?? my fav is when i miss and the deer stands there the whol time im realoding and just as i go to prime the pan.. it runs. im headin out in a few maybe get one this evening.

2C/2E
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your day will come ! Face down on the stock, concentrate HARD on your front bead, fixate on it like its the size of a basketball, squeeeeeeze!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:09 AM
The Man

Hang in there Hunt/Fish. I once missed nine in a row (for various stupid reasons). In the real life situations, I sometimes I struggle to "follow through" on the shot. Like Joe said concentrate on the front bead. Aim small, miss small. Good luck, and have fun!

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
I'm fairly certain I was never meant to get a deer with the muzzleloader. I got up around 4:30, and was out by 6. I only went a little bit when It came to me that the batteries in my flashlight were toast. I just changed them a couple weeks ago, and never used it since. I stood in the dark for about a half hour till I could see to walk in the woods. As soon as it got light out it started to rain. I sheltered the powder pan as best I could with my hat under my arm. Everthing looked fine when it was done raining, but water would fall from the trees when a gust of wind would come through.

I decided to go for a short walk to where I have seen deer in the past. I got settled in, and was just watching squirrels for a little while when I saw the back of a deer going the wrong way. I reached into my backpack as I thought what the heck, and tipped the can a few times. With in a minute or so I could see it coming my way. Decent size doe...She stepped into a small window and BOOM. Nothing. She just stood there. I reloaded as fast as I could, and took aim. Click. Nothing. I cocked the hammer again, settled the sights at center of mass and BOOM. The woods were full of smoke, and I could see nothing. I thought I had her, and she was just laying there. Wrong. I hit the side of a tree low, and took off a branch high.

Guess I'll have to try again.
The click is what makes Flintlock hunting so great. I think if they wne toff all the time like an inline it would take some (OK most) of the good stories that I have told and heard. Also the pooooooof nothing is also a great feeling when the deer is standing broadside at 20 yards, or they come running past you and you think you need to shoot right now so bang (of course you missed and they stop and look at you for what seems like an eternity then trot off.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I gotta say that I know it's me. I know I could have got a scoped inline, and had her the first shot. That would have taken all the fun out of it for me.

After I got home I called my grandfather that can't hunt much at all anymore to tell him what happened. He laughed,and we told the same dumb stories over again as to our misses we've made over the years with our flintlocks. The last year we hunted muzzleloader together he put on a "great new flint", and it went CLICK seven times before the deer ran off. Or the time he tried to reload really fast on a nice buck in the late season, and dumped most of the powder on the ground. Of course the ball didn't even make it to the deer. All it had was enough to get the ball out the barrel.

I missed a few last year. Couple of them were like..What the heck just happened there? I get frustrated sometimes. I get mad at myself for a little bit for missing the easy shots. I'm just glad I didn't wound anything that I couldn't find.

I was talking with my neighber last night. He got a doe last year in the late season. I was telling him how frustrated I was, and he said "don't worry about it. I missed 13 that day befor I got the one I did".

I'm gonna get out again on Monday afternoon. Taking the flintlock of course. Maybe I'll get lucky, and have one get close enough that I can put powder burns on her side?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:38 PM

yep i missed one at 40 yards last night laying on my belly steady as a rock. I miss the first shot every year. doesn't matter how much i practice the flash gets me the first time everytime.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I have to wonder how the first settlers that came to America didn't starve to death? If I had to live off of what I shot with a muzzleloader I would be a lot thinner than I am.

Could that have been the start of vegetarianism??

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM
The Man

Squirrel hunting with a muzzy helped me tremendously!

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a 130" 8point on the wall that I missed off hand @ 40 yards. He stood and watched me load then ran to 70 yards and stopped broadside, another offhand shot and he went down. That was my last fl kill and the tag says it was 1999.

Hunt/fish your reference to your grandfather brought back a Flood of memories (Thanks by the way). I lost my grandfather in 1990 at the age of 86 he was my best friend, hunting buddy, and thought me lots about the woods, and life. However he thought I was the stupidest person on the face of the earth for hunting with a flinter. After discussing it with him I understood that he had observed the evolution of arms progress and couldn't understand why anyone would go back. It's great to hear you enjoy the good times with him even though he can't be in the woods!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page