Savage ML 10 II - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Savage ML 10 II

Anyone else shoot smokeless powder out of their Savage? I recently bought one and this will be my first season hunting with it. So far, I am in love with being able to use smokeless powder. Cleaning and care is a breeze and clover leaf groups at 100 yards is unbeatable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Savage ML 10 II

I have all intentions of shooting smokeless out of mine, but I have not shot it since I bought it 18 months ago. LOL
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 03:31 PM
The Man

Follow the manual on their recommendations and don,t sway from it.There has been some horror pics and stories on these rifles blowin up.Yes I know any rifle can blow,but their is no room for error here that,s why Savage thought it was in their best interest to stop producing these rifles.They are tack drivers from what I here.There is a good site that I haven,t been on gfor awhile that caters to Savages.If I,m not mistakin it is Savageshooters.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have shot several deer with mine including one today. They are tack drivers.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well, I'm hoping Monday evening I'll take my first doe with it...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:18 PM

I have had my Savage since 2002. My son also bought one about the same time. Great shooting guns. We shoot the smokeless IMR 4227, 41 grains, Hornady 250gr HP/XTP bullets, Winchester 209 primers, MMP Sabots. You may have to experiment with around 40 to 43 grains of powder to get a good grouping. I wasn't aware they had stopped manufacturing them. What year did that happen.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Savage said they were going to stop... They technically have, but you can still special order them. All the hoopla about them blowing up in nonsense... Savage has tested them rigorously with some insanely high loadings, double loadings, etc and they did just fine.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:01 AM
The Man

Double check your research CJ and you,ll find more stories and pics of these rifles in massive mangled and twisted configurations.Some gave terrible injuries to the user.I think you would have one heck of a time buyin one from Savage unless it is a NOS piece.I wouldn,t doubt that they would make you sign a release.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
Double check your research CJ and you,ll find more stories and pics of these rifles in massive mangled and twisted configurations.Some gave terrible injuries to the user.I think you would have one heck of a time buyin one from Savage unless it is a NOS piece.I wouldn,t doubt that they would make you sign a release.
Maybe you should double check your research good ole boy. The gun was not a good seller. Savage invested alot of time and money into producing this rifle and sales levels never came close to meeting their expectations. The Savage was pretty expensive and not quite your entry level muzzleloader. I agree they can be dangerous in the hands of a careless user, but then again, what firearm isn't?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

There were a lot of people our there trying to take a dump on Savage. So they made a lot of false claims, made up false photos and stories and defamed the gun. If they were so dangerous, I doubt Savage would still be in business with all the law suits it would have lost...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page