Ultra Heavy Fouling - How to remove? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Ultra Heavy Fouling - How to remove?

My dad bought an inline a few years back and lost interest in the sport. He gave me the TC and I have tried everything to get this thing clean. I've used Hoppe's, the tc cleaning patches, even took it to the extreme of taking it into the shower and using dawn and a wire brush attachment on the ram rod. After that it looked clean as I looked down the barrel but after I dried it off and used a dry patch to clear the water from the barrel it came out with an orange ring at the end of the jag and the rest of the patch was an ultra dark brown.

Is the barrel ruined? What else can I use? I've got over 3.5 hrs of cleaning into this barrel and the last patch I ran looks like the first... filthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM

Re: Ultra Heavy Fouling - How to remove?

Is it one that the breech plug can be removed easily for cleaning? Most are now. The barrel isn't necessarily ruined, but it can take some elbow grease to get them clean.

The wire brush and water should have removed the worst of any caked up residue, but sometimes powders like 777 leave areas of residue that seem fused to the bore. Also, some plastics can melt fast to the bore. Keep running patches.

Sometimes it just some oxidation of the metal that colors the patch. A product like J&B bore cleaner. Dark greasey and slightly abrasive, put on a patch can help clean the bore. Without seeing it in person it is hard to tell.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

Plug the breech hole and fill the barrel up with Sweets bore cleaner and let it sit over night. In the morning a light brushing should take care of any fouling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:59 PM

If it's rust, it'll be tough to get it all out. If a carbon steel barrel is shot with real blackpowder (or worse yet Pyrodex)and not cleaned for a long time, the rust can be terminal.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Part of the Community

Get a wooden dowel from your local hardware store. Carve little barbs in the end, make it look like a porcupine. Wrap steel wool around it. Add a good penetrating oil. Attach your electric drill at a slow, safe rpm and have at it. Finish with a few swipes of JB bore polish. If it's pitted there's nothing that can be done.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 11:50 PM

Wow, I'd think that would abrade the corners off one side of the lands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page