Inlines CVA or T/C - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Inlines CVA or T/C

I have a older CVA Optima Magnum and I was thinking of upgrading to something newer. I never seemed to be able to hold tight groups with this gun so I was thinking of not going with another Optima. I was looking at maybe a Accura because of the Bergara barrel option if I stay with CVA or something in the Thompson Center line. My cousin has a new T/C Impact SB and older Omega and seems to really like his T/Cs. I was also looking at the other models in the T/C line, but everything is Weathershield coated and nothing in Stainless, which is a big concern of mine. Is stainless that much better?

Though T/C claims the Weathershield is 50 times better than stainless steel in corrosion protection. However, that doesn’t help at all for the inside of the barrel which is just the carbon steel on the T/C. I talked to a customer service rep from T/C today on the phone and he said the Westhershield only is warrantied for 1 year and the rest of the barrel is lifetime. I know CVA also has the Nitrade and Cerakote options as well as Stainless. Years ago when I got my Optima I was under the impression that T/C was near the top, but it almost seems now that they have been passed by others in features. So what is everyone’s thoughts on going CVA or T/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 11:25 PM

Had an Optima Pro Magnum for many years. Loved it. A little on the heavy side, but it was accurate and took many deer.
Made the mistake of loaning it to a buddy for a hunt. He tried to return it to me 3 months later, uncleaned and pitted. He ended up buying it.
Replaced it with a Traditions Pursuit. Total piece of junk. Sent back to the factory twice, they couldn't/refused to make it right. Sold that for a loss.
Picked up an Optima V2 (in stainless), and VERY glad I did.
The trigger is lightyears better than any other inline I've tried...
Nice tight groups. Easy cleaning. Completely reliable. Have taken 7 deer in 2 years with it, 45 to 160 yards, using the included scope w/ the combo package.
bohunr, octagon and gentleben like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 10:44 AM

My first flintlock was a Tradition Deer slayer. I think I pd. a little under $300 back in the mid 1990s. What a piece of junk.

The flash pan had such a gap between the pan and the touch hole and I would lose all the 4f powder in short order. I dared not tilt the rifle towards the right side or vertical.

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 11:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

I bought an accura mr last year. Nitride finish. It is a shooter!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 11:33 AM
Part of the Community

I have a T/C Encore that shoots good. The gun was pricey but that gun opens up a lot of other calibers if you buy the barrels and don't mind a single shot. You can also get the FX version of the Encore that is only a muzzleloader and I believe that its less expensive .
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Is your Encore stainless or Weathershield coated? My biggest concern with the T/C is not having the stainless. I am worried more about the inside of the barrel as that would be coals not be coated. I always take care of my guns but the guy I talked to from T/C said the Westhershield coating is warrantied for 1 year and he personally would prefer a stainless barrel of a coated barrel. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny v. View Post
I have a T/C Encore that shoots good. The gun was pricey but that gun opens up a lot of other calibers if you buy the barrels and don't mind a single shot. You can also get the FX version of the Encore that is only a muzzleloader and I believe that its less expensive .
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 09:42 AM
Part of the Community

My Encore is Weather shield coated .
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny v. View Post
My Encore is Weather shield coated .
Thanks. Have you had any issues with the Westhershield coating?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Part of the Community

I have not. Although I know you don't have to I still lightly oil the barrel and action.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 12:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Haines,I would not worry about using blued guns just so you can get the breech plug out to clean it with a wire brush..I own several TC muzzleloaders.. I have cleaned them after having them loaded a week or two with no problem..I get great accuracy out of my omega at 100 yards...I use triple seven in mine but they are saying the blackhorn 209 is very accurate and clean burning..
BuckFever101 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page