Powerbelts??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Powerbelts???

What's your experience with Powerbelts? I was on Cabelas reading the reviews...opinions varied considerably. Some mentioned that there was poor penetration/blood trials while others had very positive comments. It seemed that a lot of the people who had penetration issues were using magnum charges??? Many of the favorable comments came from hunters using (2) instead of (3) powder pellets or medium instead of magnum charges??? It seems that more powder should equal more penetration...as long as the bullet is of sound construction???

Life's Too Short To Put A Price on Fun!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:44 AM

Re: Powerbelts???

I use 2 50 grain pellets behind a 240 grain powerbelt and get very good penetration and very good expansion!

I know Knight uses the Sabbots out of his 50 cal and backs them up with 130 grains of Goex...his deer he shot in the early muzzleloader season didn't show all that much expantion but it was a thru and thru shot, thru both shoulders....

Now, my powerbelt had left 1 nasty hole when it exited and mine was lower neck hit and other side shoulder exit and left 1 nasty hole on the exit side....All my shots with powerbelts have been either with 2 pellts of 50 grains of 90 grains of BP and the distruction they have done is very nasty!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 AM
The Man

I use 295grain powerbelts backed with 100grains of pellets. never had a deer move after getting shot. my experiences have been great, other than all the meat destroyed. my cousin uses the 345grains, I tell him he's stupid, were not shooting elephants.

"god fearin, hard workin. combine driver"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:50 AM

2 years ago, I shot a doe with a 295 grain backed with 2 50 grain pellets... that 295 grain did Not Exit...hit her on an angle and it went thru from 1 side at the shoulder all the way back to the hip joint and stopped..I recovered that 295 grain powerbelt and it looked like a silver dollar!
Flattened right out at that hip joint and stayed there...Wish I had kept it and not tossed it... guys that got to see it could not believe it had flattened that much!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Part of the Community

I heard nothing but good things about powerbelts, but my Encore wouldn't shoot them. My groups looked like a shotgun patterns at 100 yards. The same gun will shoot 3" groups at 200 yards with T/C shockwaves.
I would suggest buying small quantities of several different bullets and determining what your gun likes.

Over The Hill
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've shot 5 deer and my Dad has shot 6 deer with the 295 grain powerbelts with 2 50 grain pellets and we've never had 1 exit. Although only 1 has gone more than 30 yards, which is why we still use them. That and they're very consistent out of the TC Omega.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have shot 4 deer with Powerbelts (245 gr).I have never had to look for any blood trail because the deer were DRT.I do have a few that I did some expansion tests on and they look like thick quarters,expansion was very good.BTW,I never use a magnum charge in anything I shoot.100 gr of Shockeys Gold in the inline and 85 gr of Black in the flinter is all it ever took.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

I tried the Powerbelts out (1 was 250 gr and the other I believe was 295) of my PA Pellet, I couldn't get them to group like I could the Hornady 350 gr. FPB's with 2 50 gr. pellets of 777. My friend has the exact same gun and uses 250 gr. Powerbelts with 2 50 gr. Pyrodex pellets and shoots about the same.

The Hornady's are a pain trying to get down the barrel compared to the Powerbelts.

My two inlines (T/C Triumph & Knight Wolverine) likes 250 gr. shockwave with 2 777 pellets and 290 gr. Barnes with 2 777 pellets respectively.

Like Over The Hill says try different types of pellets and bullets.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 AM
The Man

When I used to use an inline in the early season,I used them.They grouped very well out of my NEF Huntsman.Buddy recomended NOT to use the Hollow pts as it gave too much meat damage.Here is what I got with the 295gr aero tips and 80grs of FFg Goex at 50 yds.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shot one doe with the 295 gr hollowpoints. It flipped over and down at 30 yards with a complete pass-thru. I also shoot them out of my T/C Pa. Hunter flinter and with 90 gr of 2f they shoot really well at 50 yards. Use 2 50 gr pyrodex pellets in the inline.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page