Inline Muzzleloader and Warranties - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Inline Muzzleloader and Warranties

Looking for info and or opinions on my situation. I have a CVA Optima Magnum .50 cal in-line and put a new scope on it a few weeks ago. I took it to the range to shoot the scope in with my cousin. When I was shooting, he noticed that smoke was coming out from under the Forend near where the hinge for the break action is. There was also a lot of powder residue under there and on the barrel in that area after shooting.

When I was cleaning it I pushed a patch down the barrel to push out the foaming bore cleaner that I had soaking. I was pushing toward the breech end with the plug removed and noticed the liquid running out from under the hinged area that is welded to the underside of the stainless barrel. It is the piece that hooks the barrel onto the receiver, but Iím not sure what to call it. It seemed odd to see liquid running out of there before getting the breech opening of the barrel.

Last week I called CVA to get their input and the rep I talked to said it sounded like there is a crack in the barrel under the welded on hinge. The Optima is advertised as having a Lifetime Warranty, so I assumed this is something that would be covered by the warranty. The rep told me that since my Optima was made in 2008 and was several years old it would not be covered under the warranty, because of the corrosiveness of Black Powder. He they would not be able to tell if the crack would have been cause by defect or neglect due to the time that passed from when the gun was made. When I asked about the lifetime warranty, then actually being a lifetime warranty but apparently for only so many years, he said he could understand my frustration. He said if I sent it in and they determined the barrel was indeed cracked, they might be able to give me 35% off on a new retail price muzzleloader or 20% off an on sale price muzzleloader. This is actually the same deal anyone can get for a normal functioning muzzleloader that is over 8 or 9 years old as part of CVAís trade in program. So really nothing would actually be being done as part of the lifetime warranty, in my opinion. I have yet to send in the gun in due to CVA being currently closed due to this virus outbreak, so they said wait until they reopen.

So after all this reading, has anyone experienced an issue like this. Would you all be happen with the discount that was potentially offered for a gun with a lifetime warranty? Am I expecting too much to have the gun replaced by CVA given the age of the gun? I will say I am totally confident that if I send it back they will clearly see if they are honest that the gun was not neglected and was thoroughly cleaned after shooting.

Last edited by jdhaines32; 03-23-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 10:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Are you the original owner? Did you send your warranty card in within 15 days of purchasing the rifle? If you did then they should send you a new rifle after inspecting your rifle. Don't settle for less.
bohunr, Born2Hunt, 325wsm and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 08:30 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Another 100% imported item with a history of failures. CVA has no manufacturing presence in the United States.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 AM

I cut and pasted this info that Loggy posted on another post when I posted something about their barrels splitting or blowing up in the 1990s.

CVA VOLUNTARY RECALL NOTICE:

In August 1997 CVA implemented a Voluntary Recall of In-Line rifle models with serial numbers ending in -95 and -96. If you have a CVA In-Line model with such a serial number, DO NOT USE OR ALLOW ANYONE ELSE TO USE THE GUN. If you have one of these rifles, please call CVA immediately at 770-449-4687 for complete details and a free replacement gun. Example serial numbers: 61-13-XXXXXX-95 or 61-13-XXXXXX-96.

In May 1999 Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets of Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. and now operates under the trade name of Connecticut Valley Arms and/or CVA. Any claims relating to the above described Voluntary Recall should be addressed to Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc., not Blackpowder Products, Inc. Blackpowder Products, Inc. assumes no liability for any products manufactured prior to January 1, 1998.

Life Member NRA
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Are you the original owner? Did you send your warranty card in within 15 days of purchasing the rifle? If you did then they should send you a new rifle after inspecting your rifle. Don't settle for less.
That's my question(s) also. Be sure to keep us informed on how this plays out.

I owned a new Optima Pro shortly after they came out(think around 2003) and it seemed to be a well made B/A ML. Not in the TC ProHunter class.... but pretty good.
Waynzee likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 03-24-2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason: ....added date
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am the original own. I purchased it new from Bass Pro in Harrisburg in 2009. I am pretty sure I would have sent in the warranty card. I still have the box, so I will double check to make sure it isnít in there. I wasnít sure how to think of it since I understand it 12 years old. So part of me thought well a discount would be better than nothing, yet it is advertised as a lifetime warranty so I thought the would stand behind it, if it is indeed a crack. They told me to call back and discuss it more, once they open back up, which is what I plan to do. How it is handled would definitely play into whether I stick with CVA or look at another manufacturer.
Waynzee likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:31 AM
Sage

Best of luck JDH!! I would certainly think they would stand behind it!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 12:37 PM

Iím a sucker for lifetime warranties. Ask me about my Austin and Halleck 420 in-line or my Parker Tornado. I really like them both.
You need a replacement and nothing less ... while they are still around to help.
Find the person in the company who wants to and will help. Itís probably unsafe and if you get injured they would be liable.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 06:12 PM

Lifetime warranties are a joke.

just off the top of my head I can think of several companies that lifetime warranties were a joke.

the windows I bought for my house had a lifetime warranty and when one of the panels started to fog up I called and found out they went out of business.

Champion and Horton bows went out of business and both had lifetime warranties.

Life Member NRA
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well hopefully I have some answers sooner rather than later. I talked to a different rep today and he also said it sounds like a possible cracked barrel. He said they are staying open as of now, with only some workers that are working from home, so I boxed it up and shipped it back today. They should have it Friday. This rep said if it is cracked and and deemed a defect he didnít see any reason why they would replace the gun no matter how old it is. Though he did say the final determination would be that of the gunsmith that inspects it. Iíll give an update when I have one.
bohunr, mgp629, bobdoo and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page