Little bittie muzzle loader - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By zimmerstutzen
  • 1 Post By zimmerstutzen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Little bittie muzzle loader

Scroll to the bottom for the 40mm (157 caliber) gun that weighs 33 pounds. Suggested load is 40 g Not grains, 40 GRAMS

Böllerbau Pfnür - Schaftböller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 03:56 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
That's interesting. Wish I could read it all. Can you read it Zimmerstutzen?

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 06:02 PM
The Man

That is a what might be called a "deck sweeper" aboard a ship! The two lugs on the butt plate must snap into a harness (LOL)...what are they for, I wonder???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
That's interesting. Wish I could read it all. Can you read it Zimmerstutzen?
I still remember enough high school German to get most of it. Plus I sometimes post on a German Muzzle loader forum.(where incidentally they are kind if you at least try to write in German but ruthlessly mean if you just post in English) There should be a translate button in the upper right of your computer screen when you pull it up. The translation isn't the best but it gets the gist of it most of the time.

Such guns must be proof tested at a gov't lab at the owners expense every 5 years if actually fired. It requires a back round check for a permit to buy powder and a 8 hour safety class and exam to get the permit to have one. The have Handboller ( a hand gun style), the schaftboller, (with the long gun butt stock), stand boller, which are the same as our thunder mugs and Kannon. The maker I linked, produces some truly awesome cartridge artillery for firing blanks.

A gram of powder is 15.4 grains. so 40 grams of powder would be just over 600 grains of powder. (Now you know why the gun is so heavy, that takes some really thick barrel walls.) I have two handbollers one in 24 ga (15mm) and one in 12 ga.(18.5mm)

Back in the 1400's, small mountain valleys would station a look out on the mountain pass to watch for enemies and fire a shot to alert the town. As things settled down, the look out was more to fire a salute when a dignitary was approaching so the towns folk could get ready for the Bishop or visiting royalty. The firing of salutes became a big thing. They are even fired at weddings in some areas, to open the Oktoberfest and on Christmas Eve at Sunset to announce the coming of the Christ child (called the Christkindsalute someplaces and Weinachtschiessen other places) and again at New Years for the coming new year. The club in Bergtesgaden has 1200 members. When they fire a salute, they do a series of shots, one in slow succession all the way around the mountain tops surrounding the town, then rapid succession and all in unison. After ward they pack up and go to their massive beer hall for a Christmas eve party. They also have meets in Summer. There is a certain amount of pomp and ceremony to these get togethers and the groups have banners and some have bands and they march out to the range in a parade, each group wearing their club uniforms, etc. (Sort of like the parade at the beginning of the olympics on a smaller scale.

Dutch7 and Buckskin Dave like this.

Last edited by zimmerstutzen; 03-02-2020 at 09:36 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Yes i see them shooting pieces of wood jammed into barrels. This is something recent and in the past they fired corks. I load shotgun wads and fire clanks with two shotgun wads over the powder. It makes for a good report.
Buckskin Dave likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 10:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
..what are they for, I wonder???
A club.

I think I know what you thought you meant.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 07:36 AM

Beautiful wood carvings on those pieces!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page