tradition pa pellet, trouble loading sabots - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

tradition pa pellet, trouble loading sabots

bought a new pa pellet muzzleloader, having a ^&^%$ time trying to load sabots. cant get them started, then , if I do, it almost takes a hydraulic press to set them......when I unloaded end of season, the two 50g pellets were all broken and the tip of the sabot was crushed/deformed. which may explain my two misses this year, no way that bullet could fly true. Any tips or suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:45 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Flintlocks are made for patched balls, I have the same one. didnt shoot sabots good at all. The rifling is cut deeper in a flinter. What fit in mine was a hornady 230 gr 44 cal xtp and a green harvester sabot. But shot lousy. Patched balls shoot
1 1/2 inch group at 50 yards on sand bags. Also black powder ignites faster then pellets so some of your problems could be from that.

Good luck, Stant
flintlock hunter likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:04 PM

I have a Pa Pellet, which is a very accurate flintlock. I've used three different bullets with it very successully. The first load chain is the 370gr Maxiball over 95 grs of FFG Goex. This was a solid 50yard load about 1 1/2" 50yd groups.

Second is the Traditions 250gr sabot over 100 grs of Goex FFG. These shot into about 3/4" at 50yds, and more less needed a specific short starter and working rod tip to avoid damaging the tip. Loading is not really that difficult provided you don't try forcing the sabot down, just use enough pressure for it to begin moving down and keep that same steady pressure untill it's seated.

The last load, and the one I'll have in the rifle this afternoon is the .490 patched ball,(.015"Ox Yoke pre-lubed) over just 75 grs of Goex FFG. The 1:48 twist of the Pa Pellet makes lighter charges with patched ball more predictable. Yours may handle a heavier powder charge than mine, only one way to find out.

Two things that I've done which may help you some: When I charge the powder, (and you need real black under those pellets for reliable ignition), I put it in the bore about 5grs at a time, then settle the powder by tapping the side to be certain it gets all the way into the breech plug.

The other thing was to have the trigger properly adjusted to a more usable pull weight than the 12 lb pull they come with.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Have you tried the PA Conical?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAConical_i2.jpg (31.5 KB, 109 views)
jimmyt and flintlock hunter like this.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:43 PM
New Arrival

Not sure if this would help or not but I’ve used Brownells j-b bore cleaning compound on some muzzleloaders and it definitely made loading easier.
59Willys likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
what chumpykid said! Bore Butter
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:05 PM
Part of the Community

harvester crush rib sabots will help a ton.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredusne8 View Post
Have you tried the PA Conical?
you dont need to patch these do you?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 02:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Iíve had 2 PA Pellets. A right hand nickel barrel and a left hand blued barrel. Both shot Hornady 240 gr XTPís extremely well with the green sabot and 2- 50 grain pyrodex pellets. They were easy to load and were one of the suggested loads in the manual.
Did you clean the barrel thoroughly, in a hot soapy bath before shooting it the first time?
I always followed the drying with a light swab of bore butter followed by several dry patchís before shooting. I would also dry swab the barrel after each shot during practice. Never had an issue following this procedure. Very nice accuracy, penetration and nice exit hole.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 03:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt View Post
you dont need to patch these do you?
No patch ,just seat it on your powder.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page