What they eat. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What they eat.

Incase anyone is interested I mentioned this in my 1/11 post. Found numerous spots where the leaves were pawed away on my walk Saturday and was not sure what the deer were finding there because I did not see anything. After scraping away some leaves I found all the green sprouts coming off the roots. None In the one deer pawed up. Not much reward for their effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1AC3C26D-59F3-417E-8B74-3C4729D08BC0_1578925560612.jpg (1.86 MB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 4EFE3ADC-66EF-4712-A821-786546B88A65_1578925636017.jpg (1.70 MB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 AM
The Man

Shows you how tough it can be "scraping" out a living in the winter woods. Those little tid bits add up, but do require a lot of effort. Back in the days of the over populated big woods in the Northern Tier, it was common to see large areas raked up by deer. Usually after fern sprouts. Not ideal feed, but it was feed, nonetheless.
Dogface likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Shows you how tough it can be "scraping" out a living in the winter woods. Those little tid bits add up, but do require a lot of effort. Back in the days of the over populated big woods in the Northern Tier, it was common to see large areas raked up by deer. Usually after fern sprouts. Not ideal feed, but it was feed, nonetheless.
This was in an big area of dead fern.
simoncool likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No pics but my son has a trailcam on it, I'll see next weekend. There is an area on my property that is getting completely rooted up. They are going down inches to the point of flipping out rocks and actually changing the shape of the ground. It is sloped with a logging road going across and they are rooting away the edge of the road. It might be ferns, I have a lot of ferns and this area is mostly under hemlock canopy.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:26 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz View Post
No pics but my son has a trailcam on it, I'll see next weekend. There is an area on my property that is getting completely rooted up. They are going down inches to the point of flipping out rocks and actually changing the shape of the ground. It is sloped with a logging road going across and they are rooting away the edge of the road. It might be ferns, I have a lot of ferns and this area is mostly under hemlock canopy.
WILD HOGS.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
WILD HOGS.
My first thought seeing the area! also maybe turkey, but all the tracks are deer.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:44 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
WILD HOGS.
Quote:
My first thought seeing the area! also maybe turkey, but all the tracks are deer.

If it were hogs, you'd know it. When hogs get to rooting it looks like someone took a two bottom plow to the area.
coyotejohn and simoncool like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:

Saw this in a spot the other day, only deer tracks where they tore the ground up, and there is a cut corn field 150yds away.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSY93 View Post
This was in an big area of dead fern.
That’s really common in the area I hunt. Lots of cherry, birch, hemlock, blueberry and ferns. But the majority of the digs are in large areas of dead fern. In many cases I’ve heard deer scraping the leaves before seeing them. They make quite a bit of noise pawing the leaves away this time of the year.
HSY93 likes this.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Last edited by pappybear; 01-14-2020 at 01:44 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 07:04 PM

You should see what a couple of wild hogs will do to a golf course in just one night. It looked like the work of 20 pigs until the owner checked the camera footage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page