Lyman Users... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Lyman Users...

Anyone actually try, and use, the flints that came on their Lyman? My Lyman is fairly new, never gave it the time of day before. It was a backup flinter.

But the original flint was on it. Went out and shot it again today.

That original flint has around 50 or so drops on it... today it finally gave way. I come home, clean the gun all up, take the flint out, and notice it has another brand new side to use on the rear end. So what the heck, I flipped it around, got it square with the frizzen, and tightened her down after cleaning it with alchy...

Dropped it once, and it throws good spark.

Alot of the agate flints I have for the T/C only have one side cut for use... so this was a neat surprise.

I am a fan of using unique things... Bunky was kind of enough to send me a few samples of French and Black English Flints that work good on harder frizzens. I will be trying them out and will use them for show/hunting as I expect them to throw plenty more spark. Gather a few of them for this rifle, my TC with the original frizzen likes Agates.

But for the record... for a flint that came on the gun, I am mighty impressed. It has 2 sides, only had a total of 2 non-igniting clicks on the range, one coming today when the original side said it had enough. Little did I know they come with 2 identical ends.

Heck, on the other hand, I don't think it's even a flint... some type of other mass produced, precisely cut flint imitation.

But for an original flint, I am mighty impressed and would not hesitate to use another in a pinch. And I'd bargain to say I might be using them on the range from here on out. I saw at a gunshop yesterday they were 8.99 for 3 of them, and that gunshop is fairly high in price. Have yet to look them up on the internet. I would say you can get them cheaper for 3 or 4 of them...

But if set right on the jaw/clamp of the lock, they seem to be very dependable and long lasting.

I'm excited to throw a fancy one on though... give her some class

Shootin' Deers and Drinkin' Beers... That's How I Roll...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Re: Lyman Users...

Nothing wrong with that!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hey this is a little off topic but in the local paper is a fine lyman deerstalker left handed for 200$ incase anyone is looking, number is 8149433280
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Thats a good deal

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

thats what i thought to spiritnugent, if i didnt already have one and was left handed it would be sitting in my safe. How awsome are the deerstalkers? built like a gun that should be sold for more than what they ask for.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Absolutely... solid, and the price is very good. You get alot for your dollar.

Bunky's flints came in the mail today... they are gorgeous. Very nice looking stones!!!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritNugent
Anyone actually try, and use, the flints that came on their Lyman? My Lyman is fairly new, never gave it the time of day before. It was a backup flinter.

But the original flint was on it. Went out and shot it again today.

That original flint has around 50 or so drops on it... today it finally gave way. I come home, clean the gun all up, take the flint out, and notice it has another brand new side to use on the rear end. So what the heck, I flipped it around, got it square with the frizzen, and tightened her down after cleaning it with alchy...

Dropped it once, and it throws good spark.

Alot of the agate flints I have for the T/C only have one side cut for use... so this was a neat surprise.

I am a fan of using unique things... Bunky was kind of enough to send me a few samples of French and Black English Flints that work good on harder frizzens. I will be trying them out and will use them for show/hunting as I expect them to throw plenty more spark. Gather a few of them for this rifle, my TC with the original frizzen likes Agates.

But for the record... for a flint that came on the gun, I am mighty impressed. It has 2 sides, only had a total of 2 non-igniting clicks on the range, one coming today when the original side said it had enough. Little did I know they come with 2 identical ends.

Heck, on the other hand, I don't think it's even a flint... some type of other mass produced, precisely cut flint imitation.

But for an original flint, I am mighty impressed and would not hesitate to use another in a pinch. And I'd bargain to say I might be using them on the range from here on out. I saw at a gunshop yesterday they were 8.99 for 3 of them, and that gunshop is fairly high in price. Have yet to look them up on the internet. I would say you can get them cheaper for 3 or 4 of them...

But if set right on the jaw/clamp of the lock, they seem to be very dependable and long lasting.

I'm excited to throw a fancy one on though... give her some class
You been living under a rock? ...just kidding..seriously you didn't know that they came that way? if you happen to have a diamond file for sharpening knivies you can file and edge back on that sucker.

God, Family, Country in that order.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by settle
You been living under a rock? ...just kidding..seriously you didn't know that they came that way? if you happen to have a diamond file for sharpening knivies you can file and edge back on that sucker.
Never took that sucker out of there... the other side was covered by the leather. I sure was happy when I took it off and saw that though. I noticed it was an easy material to work with. I plan to use a file of some sort, and put the edge back on the other side. Until then, I have yet another side to chip away shot by shot, puff of smoke by puff of smoke

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check Wal Mart over the next few weeks for BP great discounts!!!

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:30 PM

I use really good "double sided" German White Agate flints in my T/C Hawken. I love how they spark and I love that they are double edged!! When 0ne side wears out, turn it around

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page