• 1 Post By jimsdad
  • 4 Post By flintlock hunter
  • 1 Post By flintlock hunter
  • 2 Post By Dogface

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Help appreciated......

So a combination of expected warmer temps and tags left as me looking at extended bow hunting this year.

My son had filled his doe tags and is looking to ML hunt.

So yesterday we pulled the CVA Plainsman out of the gun cabinet for the first time in 10 years and went to the range.

The gun going off was very inconsistent, with only 3 shots fired in probably 30 attempts. The powder in the pan flashed ~ 80% of the time.

Touch hole looked very clean and powder should have had a clear path to the main charge. (4FF in the pan, 2FF main charge).

My though is that the powder absorbed some moisture while sitting in the gun cabinet all those years, (in a brass powder dispenser).

My son went to Dunham's yesterday and all he could find was Pyrodex, which said it was "equivalent" to 3FF", BUT the rifle says specifically on the barrel, "black powder only," so some reluctance there as well.

Any thoughts on this, and the f/u question, where can you buy black powder if the Pyrodex is not an option.

Any help is appreciated.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 05:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

I thought there used to be a thread with everyone listing local places to get black powder but I don’t see it? Maybe I’m still dreaming...

Goex’s website does have a “dealer finder” on it so you can see if anything is close to you.

Sorry, I’m not much help.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 06:43 AM

Try this.
If you have access to any moisture absorbent packets - the kind that comes in some medicine bottles / electrical products to keep the product dry - take that BP out o the brass container and put it in another salable container with the absorbent packets and let them work for a day and this MIGHT dry out that powder. That will be cutting it close as you probably are going out tomorrow.
Also, if you have access to compressed air - even the stuff sold at Staples to blow off computer parts - blow out that touch hole real good and the barrel too.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
flintlock hunter likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 07:03 AM

Many on here won't agree with me, but here is what I would do......

Take some emery cloth and go over the frizzen very good, and if you have steel wool (0000) on hand, give it a little polish too, smoother is better. Check both the alignment and sharpness of the flint, and wipe it off with alcohol. I've found my flinters work best with the flint no more than .080" from the frizzen on half cock, but some like the flints bevel up, others down.

After such a lengthy stay in the gunsafe, oxidation will take it's toll on accuracy untill it gets"shot back in". Stainless doesn't always have this happen, but carbon barrels often will. I would get five or ten rounds thru it, take it home to the hot soapy water bath, dri it well, and go back to the range. It may shoot fine then.

As for Pyrodex.....Those new fangled caplocks seem to do ok with it, but for REAL muzzleloaders, the kind like you have, you want black powder. Goex, Swiss, or Elephant will all do the job, Pyrodex not so much, and absolutely not as consistantly go bang like the real thing.

Good luck with it, it's only storage related most likely.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
joe8768, Dogface, jimsdad and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 07:16 AM

I found the thread on where to buy black powder. It's a STICKY in the Traditional Forum from 12/20/2005 started by Chickenlittle.
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 09:18 AM

I agree with everything flintlock hunter says but I have a TC Hawken that I can shoot Pyrodex out of consistently. I do hunt with BP and use the Pyrodex for plinking and practice.

Maybe you should try it to see how it shoots in yours if your BP is contaminated.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely View Post

Touch hole looked very clean and powder should have had a clear path to the main charge. (4FF in the pan, 2FF main charge).

My though is that the powder absorbed some moisture while sitting in the gun cabinet all those years, (in a brass powder dispenser).

Merry Christmas everyone.

I would use a pick to make sure the touch hole is clean. There maybe debris or corrosion you cannot see.

BP is hydroscopic and will absorb moisture. A brass powder dispenser cannot be sealed like a regular BP can.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 01:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

hopefully you got that gun firing ok by now. if not my guess is you are pretty well plugged up, from flash pan to powder charge. after sitting that long it may have rusted in the powder chamber. I would pull the flash hole liner, and really clean that area. as for firing those 3 times, im thinking enough flash got through to make it discharge, then when you reloaded , you pushed more fouling right back down the barrel to gum it up again. I had a friend that thought he was doing a good job cleaning his, when he went to use it, his and his sons guns were both packed and would not fire there is definitely a learning process with black powder gun, right down to the cleaning. I know from experience, I started at day one also. by the way, you mentioned Dunhams, so I assumed you are around Bloomsburg, north east traders in muncy , deals strickly in black powder products. artificial black powder in flintlock guns, leads to nothing but problems and heart ache

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page