3Likes
  • 1 Post By richdeerht
  • 1 Post By richdeerht
  • 1 Post By bownut

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

CVA Optima V2 Muzzleloader loads

Hi I just bought a CVA Optima V2 Break Action .50 Muzzleloader. it is my first muzzleloader. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these and any tips or pointers on which loads they have had success with, what to try or what to stay away from. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 06:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

I use 90 gr 2f, Hornady 230 gr xtp 44 cal. bullets with a green harvester sabot. They dont go far when hit good. Does lots of damage.
Good luck, Stant
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 09:37 AM

I use 200 gr TC Shockwave over 100 gr by volume of Blackhorn 209 and a CCI 209 magnum primer. Very accurate, deer don't go very far when hit.
barrike likes this.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Regular Visitor

I use federal magnum primers, 100 gr by weight of BlackHorn209, and a 250 gr TC Shockwave. Very accurate out of my Optima V2. I've had a few 1 hole hundred yard groups with this load. If you decide to use the BH209, you will need to get a different breech plug.

Last edited by barrike; 12-18-2019 at 11:38 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you guys very much for your input. I was looking at the hornadays but was unsure of what to buy to calculate for the sabot if you dont buy them with the sabot on the bullet. After reading this I will have to buy some shockwaves as well. A lot of guys love the bh209. Is it that much cleaner than pellets or is it just more accurate?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 10:47 PM

BH209 is a nitrocellulose based powder. It's the least corrosive muzzleloading propellant available. It is a little harder to ignite so you need a strong 209 primer. It's accurate and powerful.
barrike likes this.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 08:15 AM

and it's cleaner. I've also noticed it leaves an oily residue in the barrel and is actually easy to load after several firings without swabbing the bore. No crud buildup or carbon ring you get with 777 or pyrodex that you have to knock out after 2-3 firings. I loaded mine last year in mid October for early MZ season in MD after sighting in and fouling the bore. I left it loaded thru mid-December (no deer to shoot at). Took it out after deer season and was curious if it would even go off (deer season was wet) so I shot it at the same target I sighted in at in Oct. and the shot was right in the same group. With any other powder out there I'd have had corrosion in the barrel after shooting in Oct and waiting until Dec. to clean.
barrike likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you guys so much for the info. Bownut, what primers and slugs are you shooting along with the bh209?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 10:17 PM

Mine is an Encore, not CVA, but I use BH209 in my other 45 cal CVA as well. in my Encore I'm shooting a specialty bullet from prbullet.com. it's a 195 gr 357 cal ballistic tip like bullet in a duplex sabot. It's a 45 cal sabot inside a 50 cal sabot.

https://prbullet.com/shop/products_view.php?sSKU=0111

Sounds weird, but it works great on deer out to 250 so far for me. Super accurate. But I'm thinking of trying a heavier bullet after a run in with a bear didn't end well. The harvester scorpion gold in 300 gr with crush rib sabots is on top of the list.

I use nothing but CCI 209 MAGNUM primers with BH209. You CANNOT use the kleanbore or whatever they call the modern muzzleloader primers that are made for pyrodex or 777. You WILL get hangfires or misfired with them and BH209. Standard 209s are fine too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 05:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here a short article that may come in handy for you when cleaning your weapon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bp811.jpg (599.7 KB, 10 views)

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page