I know you know.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know you know....

Going to enter the inline game next year. I have a Vortex 4-12 scope, so that isn't an issue. Let's keep the maximum I want to spend at $500.00. I'm open to suggestions - must be easy to clean in the field, on the bench, and at home. Also-- what size groups at 100 yards should I expect with these weapons? How long did it take you to find a load/bullet combination that you were happy with? I've played the flintlock game for a while. Not really interested in measuring powder, 2f, 3f, etc...round ball and patch vs. prelubed etc. I already spend the majority of my time with the intricate details of archery set-ups so I'm looking for a reliable, accurate, easy to maintain inline.
bohunr likes this.

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 09:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Cant beat cva, I touch holes at 50 yards off the bench. Wolf ss is very accurate, 230 gr hornady 44 mag bullets and a sabot with 90 gr of 2f, Deer dont go far. Wolf with scope mounts less than $250

I love mine.

Good luck choosing, Stant
bohunr and lanctrapper like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hittingguru-I've been thinking about buying a muzzle loader too over the last few years. Since I retired I have more time to hunt, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on one! Not sure why, maybe due to the limited antlerless season or that getting started could be a little overwhelming?? The new bear season could change reason #1! Good luck with your decision.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Traditions Pursuit. The accuracy is the same as a rifle. I bought it used from a friend in 2010 and have been using it ever since. I kill multiple deer with it every year. In fact, I find it more reliable than my rifles. I change nothing other than the bullets last year because Barnes quit making them. I've never had the gun not fire for me....never. Just keep the breech hole and barrel clean.
bohunr likes this.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Regular Visitor

I was in same boat last year - what inline to get ?? I knew nothing. I did a bunch of research on inline muzzleloader forums and online in general. I knew up front I wanted an inline that wasn't too heavy and was capable of 100yd groups. Was focused on PA bear and doe season and the areas I hunt are tough hikes a and no long shot opportunities. I ended up with Thompson Center Strike. 1 inch groups at 100yds - super easy to clean and maintain. Shooting 77gr by exact weight Blackhorn 209 and Harvester Scorpion XP 300gr bullet. Swab barrel between shots and clean breech between shots. I did a ton of research and started with this combo and it exceeded my expectations. So repeatable shot after shot. I did shoot a second shot without cleaning on 2 different range sessions to mimic a follow up in real hunting situation. Was dead on. I'll still go through my same swabbing and breech cleaning after each shot simply for the repeatable accuracy. No bear but did shoot a doe at 60yrs. Very pleased with results. Have a DNZ Reaper scope mount with a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 fire dot reticle. CVA Accura was on my radar too. Right now I'd give a good look at Traditions Striker - I like the strike fired inlines vs the hammer.
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Regular Visitor

The Traditions model I mentioned above is Vortek Strikefire Backcountry - be a perfect inline for PA mountains
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 12:00 PM

I love my CVA Accura MR
bohunr likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 12:12 PM

CVA Optima V2 is what you seek.
Best trigger I've ever felt on an inline, rivals a lot of centerfire rifles actually.
Very accurate, simple cleaning, the QRBP (quick release breech plug) is a snap.
Off-season deals can be found easily, complete packages (scope & case) ~$320-$350 (bud's online) or ~$275 for just the gun with scope mounts.
With a little searching, it's not much more than a Wolf, but is a lot more gun.
The only difference between the Optima and the Accura (beside cosmetics on the stocks and the price tag) is the Accura barrel gets one additional polishing step...

PS: whatever you get, consider going with stainless.
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 12:24 PM

CVA Optima. loaded with two 50 grain pyrodex pellets and a 295 grain copper clad powerbelt HP...and a simmons 3x9x42 scope, shoots almost as good as my 30-06
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cva optima group 001.jpg (57.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg cva optima group 003.jpg (61.9 KB, 8 views)

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 12:47 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
CVA Optima. loaded with two 50 grain pyrodex pellets and a 295 grain copper clad powerbelt HP...and a simmons 3x9x42 scope, shoots almost as good as my 30-06
I do the same when I shoot a 2+ inch four shot group at 100 yards. I just label the target as 2 seperate 2 shot groups. Does wonders for my average and reputation amongst those I show the targets to. Your not fooling me, bohunr!

Jk....good shooting gun there, bohunr. Nice work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page